Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I have nurtured a viper!

B3B3 Posts: 27,473

I bought a dahlia tuber. I can't remember where, but I'm sure the picture was tasteful or vibrant! I have tended it and protected it from drought and pestilence.

IT has flowered. The colour is a mixture of bile and fairy liquid. The size of th flower is what you'd expect if you sent away for tubers advertised in the back of a Sunday supplement wherein is photographed an  unfortunate child whose head is the same size as a dahlia flower.

I ask not for advice, but needed to vent image

In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

It it's still alive at Halloween

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

We can toss it with my "white" snapdragons, carefully grown from seed, pricked out, potted on, watered, feeded, mulched and... pink. Well some are yellow. And one or two really are white.

I feel your pain.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i'll join the great plant toss with my scabiosa blue jeans which i nursed from teeny plugs for my blue & white garden and are red !!! image

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I bought mini-plugs of trailing lobelia - Sapphire.  Potted them on and nurtured them.  Hardened them off and planted in tubs (like you do).  I ended up with multi-coloured, which is not what I wanted, and some of the plants  weren't trailing, either.

I took flower samples +original label back to my local GC.  They were apologetic, and gave me a dozen more mature  specimens.  I managed to wiggle out the wronguns and replace them, and thus far, it's looking good!

Bouquet to West Somerset GC, methinks for at least helping to put it right.

• Hey, I have a spectacular double flowered climbing rose that I dominates one side of our arch. I bought it as a white single...

• I wish I could join in but it's been so cold up north that none of my seedlings have flowered yet ! There are some that are just on the cusp of bursting and when we had a few days of warmth last week I could almost see them rising towards the sun...  but, alas,  here comes the torrential rain and low temps again image

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

six different cosmos, six different colours, ordered from four different places-ALL-short, medium and tall-the same colour-cosmos pink. garn.

no more organic, open sourced, open pollinated seeds for me.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,473

At least Steve won the plant lottery

• I hoped it would be white!
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.  I have a lovely pink Duchess de Nemours peony.  Oh that's right, it's meant to be whiteimage.  Kellways are sending me a replacement this Autumn.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands