Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I wish someone would invent....

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

...gardening gloves that are thin enough to feel what you're doing, but with some sort of protective rubber (or some such material) that protects my finger nails.

I love a good dig but not so keen when my nails have that dirty stain around the edges. I have to point at plans a lot in meetings and it makes me cringe! I hate painting my nails too so no way to hide it.

I could always give up work I guess?! image

• I buy packs of 100 surgical gloves from the local farmers' supply shop. These are great for weeding as long as it's not hot, when they get too sweaty. They are single use but with care can be used again as long as you keep away from sharp sticks, thorns etc. Long nails do wear through after a while. 

For digging or heavier work you can get things like nitrile coated gloves or Showa gloes which have waterproof palm and finger tips but breathable fabric backs These are fine even in summer, last ages, and even though thicker than the others you can still feel reasonably well through them. They are even washable.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Thanks Buttercup and Edd!

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

I sometimes wear the disposable surgical gloves with a normal pair of fabric lightweight garden gloves over the top. It stops wetness soaking through to your fingers and making them feel even colder. I guess it would keep the soil out from under your nails too image

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I have long nails and the only gloves that last with me is a thin pair of leather gloves. Otherwise, stick your nails into a bar of soap before you start gardening. The soap under your nails will keep them clean. Tip from I think Kim Wilde on the tele in a prog about celebrity gardeners many moons ago.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I use Ethel Gloves - they're the only ones my fingernails don't wear through after a couple of wears.  Usually last me about six months - used pretty much every weekend.

the other trick I use is to clean the bathroom on a sunday evening - that seems to shift the dirtimage

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,286

A way to avoid stained nails is to rub in some barrier cream beforehand. Available at most car accessory shops, it prevents chemicals getting to the skin and staining it and washes off easily to leave nice clean hands.

With long nails an old mechanics trick is to scrape a bar of soap with them, so the soap acts as a barrier under the nails to stop dirt getting in. I find the modern barrier creams more comfortable than having soap under my nails though! 

There is a brand of black disposable nitrile gloves called 'Black Mamba' - I switched to these recently, they out last any other brand I've tried 10 fold, so worth picking up some if you see them.image 

• A soak in diluted bleach works for the staining, does nothing for your skin though! It is really good if youve got dirt down your wellies in and it gets ground in image

Barrier cream is probably best! image
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

For special occasions treat youself to L'Occitane hand scrub it is simply georgeous and really leaves you with smooth, clean hands and nails, it is expensive though.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Keep a packet of wet wipes handy too, a good wipe around each nail is enough to get rid of the still wet soil.