Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID help please

This is on behalf of a friend.  All I have is the picture.  She doesn't know what it is but apparently it flowers twice a year.  Any ideas? 

As always any help at all is greatly appreciated image

Haha the picture would help oops

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi, it looks like a peaony to me, but they dont flower twice? image
  • Well that's what I was thinking.  I thought maybe a tree peony but they only flower once too.  So I'm a bit stumped.  Was hoping Verdun or D

ove might have an idea.......image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Might be the one called Molly the Witch but she won't flower twice.

Do you know when this photo was taken? Molly flowered weeks ago

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • None taken Mike, my friend says twice a year.  I take that to mean on two separate occasions.

It won't daisy. I think that's what Mike is checking. Lots of perennials will come back for a second, late, flowering if you cut back after the first bash. A paeony won't

• Just been reading about Itoh/Intersectional hybrids on the peony society website.  An article there claims they will flower twice if you cut the first ones back.  Hmmm.    I would be surprised if it was an Itoh unless the previous owner was a very keen gardner.  I'm going to ask my friend a few more questions.

• Ah, mystery solved.  My friend consulted her husband, who clearly has a better memory (!!) and apparently it does die down in the winter and it only flowers once in the spring.  So it must be a peony.  The picture above is from last year.  So Nut, maybe it is Molly the Witch.  Thanks everyone for your help.  I hope, Edd, you meant to PM Mike and not hijack the thread.

• No problem image  And thanks again everyone, you are so kind.