Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ID please

B3B3 Posts: 27,476

Sorry top pic is sideways!

This plant self-seeded in my front garden a few years ago.  I doubt the shape of the plant will be of much use as I have to brutally prune it into a lollipop shape, partly because it's near the pavement and also if it had to fight the street sycamore for water it would lose.  It has smallish  white blossom that looks a bit like apple but they don't come in clumps. The blossom comes after the leaves Last year I missed a bit at the back and one berry grew. It was on a stalk like a cherry and was a peachy orange colour.  It was the size of a cherry tomato and had a similar skin.  New growth is usually a translucent bronzey /yellow colour.

Does anyone know what it might be?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,476

I think you're spot on Dove! Had a look at the bark and it looks like grey tiger bread. I wonder where it came from. Birds I suppose. 

Yes, it'll be birds. 

There's a lot of cherry-plums around here - they're lovely and make good jam or pie fillings if you can get enough - treat them like the French mirabelle plums.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,476

Unfortunately I can't allow it to get too big where it is.  Do you think a cutting would work or should I hope for a sucker?  Then I could plant another where it can grow properly

It's a prunus - my guess is that it'll sucker freely - especially if you disturb the roots a bit.