London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
8 messages
19/07/2014 at 10:21

Took this picture about a month ago.  This plant appeared from nowhere and has been growing out of a small crack between rockery and pavement and gets bigger by the day

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52994.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

.  Neighbours have suggested it's malva, achillea or sidalcea.   Can someone please help solve the mystery.  Many thanks.

19/07/2014 at 10:26

Yes it's one of the mallow family - Malva. You'd mainly find them called Lavatera (unless they've changed the name!) if you went to buy one-  there's  many varieties available. Sidalceas are more upright  so if it's bushy it's most likely a Lavatera 

19/07/2014 at 10:30

looks like malva alba variety 

19/07/2014 at 10:32

.yes agree with that... a seedling of Malva moschata 'alba'...

19/07/2014 at 11:05

Many thanks to all three of you for identifying that.  It will now solve the dispute, I hope,  between the neighbours.  Since taking the photo, the wind and heavy rain has completely thrashed the plant and I have more or less pulled the whole thing up as it was laying across the pavement.

19/07/2014 at 11:10

That's  a shame Billie - they are inclined to be a bit floppy and need some support. I don't normally grow them up here now because we can often get quite wild weather in summer and it decimates them.  Bees love them though.

19/07/2014 at 16:44

I have decided to try and grow them next year and support them before they get floppy.  I don't have much luck with collecting seeds and sowing them but do have more success with cuttings.  Is this possible with malva and when should it be done?

19/07/2014 at 16:54

One of my favourites.    Because they come in all sorts of colours and have a good long (and often late) flowering period.   Mine are still in flower in September.

There's bound to be an approved method of collecting seeds and putting in a lot of hard work and effort to rearing them and potting them on etc etc etc but IME they're dead easy to do. 

They self seed and spread everywhere if you leave them to their own devices.  That will be why you've got them growing in the cracks of paving and it is how I've got so many in my garden.

I just collect the seeds once they're ready and sow them where I want them to grow.  Do that now and they'll be coming through next year.

I use canes or twigs to give them support.

email image
8 messages