London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 47 messages
30/05/2013 at 18:00

Hmmm ... a plum tree that produces plums that cast Cure Disease when eaten? I can imagine that'd be good to have. The Dryad Queen's tree from The Belgariad, complete with surrounding forest and dryads? I wouldn't be complaining. A dragon fruit vine? Oh ... I know! A strawberry plant.

Yes, a strawberry plant.

Specifically, one that's put out runners and put down roots and sent up more shoots again and again and again and is now approximately five miles by seven miles, because then I'd have a five mile by seven mile garden.

Similar answer: a 30m tall, 100m wide wisteria growing on the walls of MY HOUSE, because then I'd own a 100m wide, 10 storey high house!

KEF
30/05/2013 at 19:45

Fred, you are so lucky, I've only seen pictures, but they look wonderful and it's history amazing. Enjoy it for me.

nin
31/05/2013 at 17:51

A big old walnut tree like the one my aunty had it was so big it was used in WW2 to land planes it fell down about 10 years ago but my mum has one of its babys or an old mulberry bush. Something old classically English and very productive.

KEF
31/05/2013 at 18:11

Nin, such a shame it was lost. Good you remember it.

01/06/2013 at 09:37

IF i had a garden big enough I would love to have a prunus serula (birch bark or tibetan cherry) the bark is so smooth like satin ribbons.

01/06/2013 at 10:37

I would have a beautiful Magnolia tree - don't have a big enough garden to have one but love them when they get really big.

02/06/2013 at 03:55

When I moved into my new house it was a toss up between Acer Griseum and Gleditsia Triacanthos "Spectrum". I opted for the Gleditsia but it is just coming into bud for the first time for me and I am working offshore till the end of June! Needless to say I cannot wait to get home and see it in all it's glory!

02/06/2013 at 17:52

A Wisteria. I adore these plants...so beautiful!

02/06/2013 at 19:15

All of the above, plus the Faraway tree, but until I win the lottery I think an Acer Griseum, Prunus serrula, or Eucalyptus pauciflora. I love interesting bark. I'd say Hawthorn, but there are loads nearby so no need.

02/06/2013 at 21:19

I'm with Salino, Rhododendron King George, Mine is about 6ft tall and has been in situ for 4yrs and it's flowered for the first time this year, the perfume is breathtaking. If you haven't got space for King George there's a new rhodi called Tinkerbird it's small and white nothing like King George till you smell the perfume, so it's worth a look

KEF
02/06/2013 at 21:23

QR When I get chance I'll take photo & post a pic of Mum's Prunus Serrula & Acer Griseum both are at least 15 yrs, maybe 20yrs old & wonderful.

02/06/2013 at 23:37

Davidia Tree, known as the pocket handerchief tree, there was a superb one at Kew. Unfortunately I garden on a pocket handkerchief, so it would be impossible. 

03/06/2013 at 06:04

Can't wait KEF, they sound wonderful!

Thistledown yes it's a magnificient specimen at Kew, and yes would be a great choice but I also garden on a pocket handkerchief 

03/06/2013 at 06:42

Yep, I'll second the cedar of lebanon and the cornus kousa. And HUGE shrub roses with other flowering climbers through them. In my grounds, you understand... And espaliered fruit all along the limestone walls of my kitchen garden... And the aforementioned monster wisteria. Mine would be white though... And some enormous topiarised yew... possibly to match the peacocks...  Bum - I liked my garden this morning until I started this...

03/06/2013 at 08:04

Great" Handkerchief" at Wakehurst...Kew in the country in Sussex

03/06/2013 at 08:10

betty 

Didn't you see- Wintersong and I are having Italianate gardens with statues and stuff- your   topiary will be fine - are you having an 'avenue' of them?

In fact - aren't you having a big fountain? I'm having the one from Castle Howard brought in.

I'm thinking of a grotto too......

KEF
04/06/2013 at 20:21

Pics of both trees now posted on galllery. Mum hopes you like them as much as she does.

quercus_rubur wrote (see)

All of the above, plus the Faraway tree, but until I win the lottery I think an Acer Griseum, Prunus serrula, or Eucalyptus pauciflora. I love interesting bark. I'd say Hawthorn, but there are loads nearby so no need.

04/06/2013 at 20:41

I think aTulip Tree I can't remember the botanical name, but looks beautiful but odd have tulip shaped yellow and orange blooms.  Magnolia grandiflora, ancient mulberry tree, wise old oak, Hazel trees, a lime avenue,Ossier willows  - beauty, pratical, food  ...................don't know where to stop, but just need to aquire enough land to plant an alboretum

07/06/2013 at 14:39

Cornus kousa 'China Girl', but don't have acid soil here, such a georgeously stunningly beautiful tree 

09/06/2013 at 00:10
KEF wrote (see)

Pics of both trees now posted on galllery. Mum hopes you like them as much as she does.

KEF I can't find these

21 to 40 of 47 messages