London (change)
Thu 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
21 to 40 of 67 messages
13/10/2013 at 13:00

Yea I can control those things so well Brum

I can see every corner and apex, and weighing nothing means I can throw the things around so easily.

I used to race quite regularly here and even held the fastest lap at one time

http://supakart.co.uk/track

13/10/2013 at 13:29

Without a garden, would we still belong to the forum, or the local garden society, Plant Heritage, RHS etc.? Although for me gardening is now something of a lonely affair, I do get much/most of my contact with others through gardening activities of one sort or another. Without the garden I would have to seek out human contact, or go mad.

13/10/2013 at 14:00

Hmm, not sure.  I'm an uncle but in practice a dad and mum to my niece and nephew. It's come to "being there" for them.  Don't begrudge it really... .they are everything to me. And I am all they have blood wise.  But it leaves little me time.  I'm expected to solve everything....I try to and manage to I think mostly.....at the drop of a hat.  

If I had me time and no garden I guess I prob would do more volunteering and   go travelling

Hey Brumbull has accomplished more in this thread than any of us before in us getting to know us. 

13/10/2013 at 14:20

When OH and I were first together I went through a spell when I had hardly any garden - it was miserable trying to cram plants into my tiny patch - when we were looking to move I know that OH thought he would be happy in a stylish loft apartment down on the Waterfront  but he knew that I wouldn't be worth living with if I couldn't grow things, so we came here - and now he likes getting the mower out and is chuffed by how the lawn is improving with being mown regularly rather than twice a year like the last chap did.  He loves watching the insects (he's becoming a Shield Bug enthusiast ) hedgehogs, birds and bats, and sweeps the lawn for baby frogs before mowing. And now he's growing garlic.

What would we do if we didn't have a garden?  We'd probably go out for long walks like we used to do.  I'd bake more cakes and do more writing and painting - but in just over 3 weeks' time I'll have more time to do all that too, as well as more time to garden 

13/10/2013 at 14:21

True, Verdun. There are hidden depths in everyone. No, don't worry, I'm not Penniesfromheaven in disguise.

Does the Badachro Inn still have that old sea chart on the wall showing the water depths around the bay? It was a framed bit of ancient white paper with tiny black marks all over it. The first time I saw it I was certain they were squashed midges.

13/10/2013 at 14:24

Pd - I didn't get to do the Torridon hills unfortunately but almost 100 Munros including quite a few of the Glencoe ones. Bidean nam Bian was one of the best days I ever had. The Grey Corries were great as well, the Crianlarich hills - too many to choose from! 

Woody - just as well we have the garden really isn't it? It's a life saver without doubt. Love my little virtual family on here 

13/10/2013 at 14:54

I would go COMPLETELY BONKERS!!! Really though, I would like to improve my photography and maybe write.

13/10/2013 at 15:11

I'm going to have nightmares tonight about not having a garden and allotment to cultivate. Yes, AWB - New Zealand beckons me too - fabulous comfortable place to live. 

13/10/2013 at 16:02

Spend more time in mi 2 seater merc,with the better half,driving around this glorious countryside.

13/10/2013 at 16:14

waterbutts- squashed midges are the best kind! 

13/10/2013 at 16:17

Apart from when I was single and nursing in London (heck of a long time ago), I've always had a garden, even when I was a child I hada patch in my parents' garden. But I would probably have more time to ride my horse and I would probably paint watercolours, another thing I did when I was younger. Now I'm older everything seems to take longer.

KEF
13/10/2013 at 16:35

Woody, big hugs and admiration, I've learned from previous posts about how you now find yourself. I take my hat off. If I lived anywhere near I'd have loved to come to your village open day. Loved the pics of your garden.

Thinking about my earlier post if I didn't win the lottery I suppose I'd have to read even more. Don't have an artistic bone in my bone. I still have loads of gardening books, so I'd just have to look at pictures.

I've grown veg most of my life and had shrubs but never really taken much interest in small plants & annuals. Since joining the forum I've bought / grown so many more things, this year my garden has been a picture. Thank you all so much.

The first thing I bought after joining the forum were Pasque Flowers ( Pulsatilla Vulgaris) that B.Lizzie spoke about and from then on I haven't stopped & Verdun you've cost me a bob or two.

Think I'd rather have no teeth than no garden.

13/10/2013 at 16:37

Gardening and the study of horticulture has been my saviour over the last couple of months... separating from my husband after 20 years and helping two wonderful kids through this tough time..would have been harder if it wasn't for gardening as my therapy. Couldn't live without it.

chopping through dead wood whilst picturing his face is great stress relief..lol..

13/10/2013 at 16:40

May take longer Busy but you've got lovely garden there 

13/10/2013 at 16:48

Rose without thorns-- I find a pair of loppers and a shredder really useful when I want to work off some anger.

Verdun- you've been stimulating me to spend a lot of money too. I've probably spent more(on the garden) this year than in the last five.

KEF
13/10/2013 at 16:50

Rose, good on you girl   Hugs sent.

13/10/2013 at 16:53

(((hugs to you Rose)))' have been there to... Gardening is great therapy!!! 

13/10/2013 at 16:59

Rose- I had a similar situation too when I found myself on my own with 2 young children. Was studying garden design at the time and had to give it up. But - having a garden to work in and look after is the best therapy. So many people here understand that only too well. 

13/10/2013 at 17:21

With all the worries about my Daughter's health, gardening is the very best therapy for me. I suppose painting and drawing come close as once I start a picture I lose myself to the real world, but in the garden, once you work out what's to be done, you can dig, water,slash and burn, to your hearts content, and just empty your mind of all worries for a little while.

13/10/2013 at 17:23

Thank you Verdun.

My garden really kept me going when my husband died, except the first year when it went to pot because I thought if he couldn't look at it it was pointless. But then I really got into it and each season, with new and different things growing, really gave me hope and made me look forward.

21 to 40 of 67 messages