London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
61 to 67 of 67 messages
14/10/2013 at 11:17

I used to spend all my money and spare time riding  and caring for my horse. (garden got a bit neglected in those days) Sadly hes gone to the great paddock in the sky and only ride a friends horse twice a week (no overheads now!)

Garden is now my baby and has never looked better.

14/10/2013 at 12:13

Great hearing how gardening is so theraptic for many in lots of different ways. For me it gets me out of the house and the earshot of teenagers music etc until they have had their play time for a bit and they can't complain about having to use headphones!

If I didn't have my garden, I'd be needing to holiday more often or I'd have to get involved more in helping my wife with her craft designs and sales. Just recently she started decorationg glass blocks and wanted to put lights in them so I'm doing the hole -drilling for her!

14/10/2013 at 15:46

Gardening is good for the soul....  If I'm out in mine, the mobile gets left indoors, good thinking time as well...

14/10/2013 at 16:17

Brumbull - your thread has turned out to be a great 'hit' and got us all thinking.  It has been great fun reading everyones answers and comments so thanks for posting it.

18/11/2013 at 21:53

Without my gardening; I would probably spend an aweful lot more time out walking the Pembrokeshire Coast Path - or more distantly, any other Long Distance National Trail in Britain WITH my digital camera at the ready all the way, every day. Landscape photography and the natural history (flora & fauna) that go with all those far flung landscapes - just the thing!! Thankfully now I'm retired & still (relatively) fit and healthy, I can fully enjoy both these great leisurely pursuits.

24/11/2013 at 16:02

I'd like to have summer in England, followed by Summer in Western Australia.  Two summers per year and no winter.

24/11/2013 at 16:29

I fill that way too sometimes fidgetbones. I miss the bees and butterflies in winter.

I suppose winter gives me a chance to do research for the coming growing season. Our garden is still a work in progress, so this time of year is good for planning the next phase. Finishing landscaping the rockery, is first on next years list.

I like going to the GH first thing before going to work, with a torch, and check on my overwintering 'babies'. Just 15mins in the cool dark morning air really sets me up for the day.

email image
61 to 67 of 67 messages