Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

In Or Out Of The EU Garden?

Simon69Simon69 Posts: 68

Before we entered the EU we had weed killer that killed weeds, Creosote that preserved our fences, paints that had oil in them, cheap lightbulbs that lasted forever to light our sheds, various electric devices that heated and spun properly, and little interference from Brussels or indeed elsewhere telling me what I can and can’t do in my garden.

Weather I agreed with these things, (and I am sure there are so many more), or not I still had a choice.

What are the views of the audience out there today regarding an in or out of the EU with regards to our favorite pastime/hobby/business?

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

As a trading agreement, yes. As political control by un-elected politicians, over which we have no say, no. We have enough problems with our home grown MPs. If they are answerable to us, without being able to hide behind the EU, we might get some things sorted out.

• Simon69Simon69 Posts: 68

I am in Africa just now and I can tell you that DDT didn't get all of the weeds.........

• B3B3 Posts: 27,474

My gut reaction is that countries tied up together financially are less likely to bomb each other.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I voted to join the EU (Common Market) and I shall vote to remain in. For a small country with few natural resources left we seems to have done pretty well out of it and we're now the fifth largest economy in the world. The EU doesn't seem to be doing us any financial harm.

Apart from all the other reasons to stay with the EU; at a time of huge global changes and when there's a right-wing megalomaniac in the Kremlin and the possibility of one in the White House, the last thing a small island like ours should do is cut ourselves adrift from our neighbours with whom we have a great many common interests and needs.

Simon69 wrote (see)

I am in Africa just now and I can tell you that DDT didn't get all of the weeds.........

It would be very surprising if it did - it's an insecticide

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Brussels shouldn't allow bombing anywhere. Its dangerous and much more harmful than Roundup, although a dare say it would have rather a detrimental effect on my weeds to the good. Its the filling in of the hole that I would object to!!

Dovefromabove. That's where I was going wrong then.............and the creepy crawlies are still in abundance here.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,474

I am also looking at those in favour of leaving. If Boris or Rupert told me that the sun had risen this morning, I would  have looked out the window twice to make sure.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • People do realise that most of the 'Oh god, the EU is banning X, Y or Z' are in fact made up by the Daily Fail..?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

If we left the EU and wanted to trade with them they would insist that we adhered to EU standards of production etc - they would see us doing otherwise as unfair competition - this would include the free movement of people between the EU and GB - just ask Norway.  Although they are not part of the EU they have to be part of the Schengen Area in order to trade with the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway%E2%80%93European_Union_relations

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.