London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
13 messages
14/09/2013 at 19:01

I live in Ashington, West Sussex and love the clean air while working in my garden.  However, a local farmer has given permission to a company to build a compost site in our village which will operate Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 6.30pm and Saturdays 8am - 1pm.  Obviously the company has had to apply for planning permission and we have until October to hopefully win our case. 

If the scheme goes ahead it will involve 56 huge lorries moving through our peaceful village every day, with closure of allotments and fishing lakes plus a privately owned garden centre and three stables unable to continue operating due to the horrendous smell and noise.

There will also be loss of enjoyment of the countryside and immense loss of habitat to wildlife.

Has anyone else had to fight a similar battle and how can you advise me so I do not lose the amenity of my garden being taken over by horrendous pungent and possibly harmful smells?

There are already compost sites operating in this area at only 60% capacity, so what is the point of opening another?

14/09/2013 at 20:11

I would start with a petition which you can give to your MP, assuming s/he isn't in favour of the new site, stating the main reasons why a new site is undesirable.

Whether you are succesful in your fight might depend on how old the existing sites are, whether any objections were raised before their construction and on what grounds those objections were dismissed, allowing the sites to go ahead.

I would say that the obvious reason why your village needs another site is probably that someone is going to make a tidy profit out of it.

14/09/2013 at 20:18

There was something very similar planned for a village I lived in  couple of years ago. Everyone was so angry, it looked like going ahead, there was a huge backlash and after  several consultations and many arguments on both sides it didn't suceed.

I hope you have a similar outcome. 

14/09/2013 at 20:41

Thanks waterbutts and summerwine for your comments.  One, of many reasons, we don't want this development to go ahead, is that within a few miles there are two other sites, not compost, which emit pungent smells and release bioaerosols into the air which damage health.   The other sites are not particularly old but rumour has it that 'they' want to close the other compost sites as they are on smaller sites than the one in Ashington.  The proposed site here is larger and has room for expansion.

If this scheme is allowed to go ahead, our local RHS will no longer hold it's annual show as no-one will have an allotment to work on or want to be in their garden.

14/09/2013 at 20:47

I don't know how computer savvy you or your neighbours are and if you could get an online petition going or if it would be easier for everyone to sign a sheet of paper, but I think you have to get some signatures collected.

15/09/2013 at 09:27

Thanks for your advice.  I hope to come back to you some time in the future and give you good news about the outcome.

15/09/2013 at 09:54

It's not hopless

I would go door to door for the signatures 

I wouldn't even think about town hall yet get the word out what is going to happen to your village. Point out the affects it is going to change to your local economy, quality of life.

The local air port in Coventry was planned to be extended some years ago which was stopped by the local voices of Warwickshire whatever you do don’t give up trying to stop it.

Just remember the voice of many will stop the progress of the few.

James

15/09/2013 at 10:02
  We even had a local farmer try to setup a  crematorium

in one of the villages this was stopped by local Voices the farmer had even cleared the site 

It’s your life protect it 

15/09/2013 at 14:54

Thanks for your words of encouragement CluelessGardner.  Not sure if the farmer is going to be mega rich if this goes ahead but the company running the site certainly will be - otherwise why put in a planning application.  If the lorries were just coming from West Sussex it might be a different matter as obviously it has to go somewhere, but, if we lose this battle, we will also have the rubbish from East Sussex, Hampshire and Kent.

20/09/2013 at 12:36

Brilliant news, we have been told that the company planning on ruining our village has withdrawn their application because of contractual problems.  Make of that what you will!.  They did the same thing two years ago and withdrew their application.  However, so many people have pulled together to fight the smell, noise and lorries and are now aware of the problems we would face if it went ahead.  So, everyone is 'on their toes' just in case this company apply for something else on the land. 

20/09/2013 at 14:48

That's good news!   

I know that farmers are under a lot of pressure to diversify at the moment, but sometimes they have to be more creative in their thinking.

20/09/2013 at 17:29

So pleased for you, don't let your guard down!!!

20/09/2013 at 17:52

Windfarms, solar farms, gravel digging  and landfill. These are diversifications around here.

Windfarms are OK, solar OK in the right place, gravel digging is noisy and although those reversing bleepers aren't permitted on site, it's a constant battle to keep them to the planning conditions. Landfill stinks and follows on from gravel digging though I hope this has changed and we won't get landfill in the next field. I shall probably be too old to care though, they haven't started on the gravel yet

email image
13 messages