London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 44 messages
Edd
04/06/2014 at 19:52

Hello.

I have been working in soil ( compost, leaf-mould, animal waste, what ever you want to call it.)  every day since i can remember.  I have always had the same problem. It's not a big issue but i get it every day.

I HATE GETTING MY HANDS DIRTY (when i start working) Its not work, to me but. Its just part of my every day life. When i finish work, i need a bath or shower  (that is normal and i feel fine) but that is not the feeling i get when i have to start work in the morning  and get my hands in the joys i work with?    Its fine after i indulge, and i have some dirt, on my hands but the initial start always gets me.  I have the same apprehension when cooking and have to add liquid to flour??? How mad is that ?  Anyone else have this phobia. Can anyone explain it, or is it just part of my madness. ???   Regards   EDD

04/06/2014 at 20:00

No Edd, you're just a bit odd, but I don't like putting my hands in the oven if I cant see into it.

04/06/2014 at 20:02

I understand the apprehension about adding liquid to flour. I alleviate the symptoms by always adding flour to liquid.

04/06/2014 at 20:02

Hmm.  I don't like putting any bits of my body anywhere I can't see!  Who knows what's it there?!

Edd
04/06/2014 at 20:32

Thanks all.

Its all about having clean hands and then getting them sticky or covered in mud, i think? 

Not sure what it is?

Cooking ingredients ( making dough. Does the same thing!) so its not just claggy soil, or what it is made from!

It's the initial getting your hands covered in it! 

After you indulge its quite nice and its fine. Where does it come from.

It does not matter what it is ( cow shit! (sorry) compost or mixing ham burgers. I get it every time.

I presume its a DNA inbuilt security system from our parents??? Best i can think.

Kind Regards

EDD. 

04/06/2014 at 21:01

Edd, 

Aint we funny?

We all have odd phobias. Illogical thoughts, random ideas, irrational fears.  All of us.  When things are going well I expect things to go wrong.  I am riddled with self doubts even though I know, deep down, I am good at certain things.  

Not madness Edd.  Human beings think too much ...over think.  It's ironic that the very dirt that provides your living also provides your fears.  I used to do door to door sales....for a short time in my youth....but the thought of making my first call was debilitating.  Often I would get back into my car and drive off. I still am like that to an extent.  Maybe it's the same with you....the fear of dirt on your hands until you actually, physically get your hands dirty.  

As a Samaritan I took so many calls from people with all sorts of emotional issues that were often helped by talking/ listening.  

The "experts" have to label everything, to identify "disorders" and to describe as normal or abnormal so I am sure someone out there will love to give a name to your "condition" Edd.  

Just keep reading this thread Edd.......we will all post oddities about ourselves.  We are ALL  a little odd   It's normal Edd

04/06/2014 at 21:11

I was expected to stay clean as a child so now like nothing better now than getting good and mucky in the garden.   Nor do I have problems with cooking processes from adding liquids to dry ingrédients to make cakes, muffins or Yorkshire puds to kneading breads and getting sticky fingers.

I do also enjoy the process of getting clean again and after a long day out there in autumn or winter love a long, hot soak with a book and a glass of wine.  

04/06/2014 at 21:12

I live with someone who would rather starve than cut up raw chicken. He is physically sick if he has to touch it and goes into complete melt down.

I on the other hand will get my hands in / on anything, raw chicken, mud, dough, up a cows ho-ha, there is very little these hands wont touch if needed.

Show me a wobbly tooth however and I go a distinct green colour - I have actually considered not having children purely on the basis that I don't think I could cope with their baby teeth coming out!

04/06/2014 at 21:28

That's not the worst thing that happens!

Edd
04/06/2014 at 21:36

Bugger me Clari!!  

They have teeth when they come out!

That's probably why i love worms so much (no teeth, only one kid and millions of worms!!!)

Verdun.

Aint we funny? You are good Verdun. Even at things you have doubts about. There are no doubts about you and things you say and reply with, at this end. Keep up the good work.

I can't say that getting my hands mucky is a phobia. its just something that at the start i just would rather not do, until they are mucky, and then i love it. Engine oil was another? After so many years you would think i would forget about it or at least get used to it, but no, it's there every day.

How weird?

Isn't nature wonderful

Kind Regards

EDD.

04/06/2014 at 21:49

I can't touch dry cotton wool, in fact just thinking about it brought me out in goosebumps  I think it's the way it squeaks! 

I don't like touching a whole raw chicken, am ok with breast/thigh! 

I don't like touching raw egg either . . . Pa Panda dropped one on his foot once, whilst wearing sandals. It made feel sick  

As they say, Nowt as queer as folk! 

04/06/2014 at 21:59

MMM warm engine oil. Now that brings back memories!

Edd
04/06/2014 at 22:34

Hope you Washed you hands Clari! 

Before and after!!! of-course! 

the Elves and johnny come lately will be after you, if not.

Regards

Edd

04/06/2014 at 22:54

The raw egg dropped onto the foot with the sandle, oh, I hope without sock!  Excellent!  That would make a great scene for a comedy

not a phobia, but a strong dislike.  Gardening in gloves.  If I try to wear them they are soon ripped off and at the end of the session my hands are stinging and scratched.

04/06/2014 at 23:03

my mum's phobia is people holding the wooden sticks from ice cream with their teeth.

04/06/2014 at 23:16

I really don't like the 'stringy' bits on peeled bananas 

Don't like to touch raw liver, and OH has to stuff the turkey 

Don't like dirty hands either.

04/06/2014 at 23:33

I'm with Panda on raw eggs, hate touching them, wash my hands after each one I drop in the mixing bowl. Perhaps it's slime, hate touching slugs, always wear gloves for gardening, never know what you might meet in the soil!

Edd
04/06/2014 at 23:46

OH. Busy-Lizzie Soil is a wonderful thing. Get your hands in!

When the world ends the Mycelium, bacteria and fungus will eat us all up and will start a whole new world again. Unless we really cock thinks up and explode the whole planet!!!

Its not beyond realism unfortunately.

Enjoy your soil and nurture it like i know you do. (even with gloves on)

Regards

EDD.

05/06/2014 at 00:02

Hester, it was onto a sockless foot! 

05/06/2014 at 00:11

1 to 20 of 44 messages