Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is it Lythrum is it a bog plant?

I sowed several kinds of perennial seeds last spring in pots outside, when green shoots and leaves appeared in most of them I nurtured them tenderly until some of them flowered and I realised they were weeds! I pulled the ones I was sure were weeds out carefully because I thought, who knows? the seeds I planted may still be viable in there and maybe they just need to go through a winter to break their dormancy, if they didn't flower I left them in case they were the real deal. Anyway I had a look at them yesterday and two pots, both labelled Lythrum 'Rosy Gem' have got very small shoots coming from thin but woody roots which have a reddish tinge. Is that what Lythrum looks like? and if it is Lythrum can I plant it in boggy soil, I've had a look on line and some say boggy and some say moist but well drained so I'm none the wiser, any advice appreciated.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Need a picture to identify. If it is Lythrum it will grow well in a bog, or at least it does in my garden. It would also grow perfectly well in any moist garden soil.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • I bought a lythrum before I realised it need lots of water. It survives well in my dry chalky soil and I give it extra water in the summer as well as lots of mulch. The flowers are lovely. It does have a reddish tinge to the stalks.

• Lythrum salicaria is Purple Loosestrife, a lovely waterside plant. Your shoots may well be this species, but they also sound like a willowherb - watch and wait!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They're pretty adaptable. Mine are left high and dry in summer and continue flowering.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Finally got some photo's if anyone can confirm this looks like Lythrum I'd be grateful.