Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is it me?

Is it me or has the recent GW programme been uninspiring? I know its early days but, On friday we had a section in which monty talked for quite a while on grasses. Then straight after we had a section from Joe Swift and he then talks about grasses??  I don't think Joe's contribution this year has been good. Why not actually plant the gardens he is designing instead of just using an ipad.  

Maybe its me getting cranky , I need some sun....and more carol

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Not really the weather for planting new gardens yet is it?  I've got a new border to do and I've not turned a sod yet - most years we'd be ready to start planting by now image 

It must be hell planning GW this year image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Whilst I have no liking for Joe Swift his design last night was quite nice and I think it's useful for people to see how to sketch up a design before they start plonking plants in a new bed or garden.  You don't need any fancy software or tools, just a pencil and paper.    If you have a plan, you're more likely to have a list of plants rather than buying what takes your fancy and then trying to fit them together.

I'm not convinced Monty has a plan for how each programme is going to run and just does jobs which need doing in his garden so it's just happenstance that his grasses needed cutting.  The way this spring is going I've got another couple of weeks before it's safe to take the winer coat off mine and cut them back to let the new growth through.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Couldnt agree more,it has become boring with items I would think the average gardener has verry little interest. It has been going that way for quite some time.

• JANAPANAJANAPANA Posts: 23

Yes I can see looking from a different viewpoint maybe I'm being a bit unreasonable. lets see how it develops..

thanks nodliab i don't feel so bad now..

• I think you are right, Obelixx. I learned on another thread that the programme is recorded a month ahead and, because Monty does not want the whole prog made from his garden, other presenters do not record from there. There must be quite a lot of splicing together after recording.

I really like Joe Swift, who is getting a bad press on this forum. I don't like all his ideas, but he does teach me things and make me think. I heard him interviewed, can't remember whether it was at Shrewsbury or Malvern, and I found him interesting and likeable.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

It is not a month -usually 10 daysimage

• I think Monty gave a good piece of advice when he said to ignore what he or any garden show says and go with what your weather is like locally. My ground is hard, I put water out for the birds and an hour later it's frozen, might just manage broad beans in my raised bed. Sharpening the garden tools and watching GW is my limit of gardening activity at the mo.

The A-Z of Gardening's been good, and I'm glad they're now showing this and GW on sunday morning

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Perhaps as people who want to get out into our garden and get inspired we want to see more but I think that Geoff is right, they start filming these episodes 10 days in advance and some of them can take 2-4 days to put together, that means it was litterally filmed last week. They are using some clips from different seasons aswell to try to keep our interest. Give them a break, what did you plant in your garden last week..? Or maybe you could do a home film of what you did last week and upload it and see the recations of the general public who are all sweetness and light when everything is ok but turn like a pack of rabid dogs when they arent happy. 

Sorry discodave but I thought this was a forum where you could air your views?  I don't think I was being "rabid" but perhaps as I'm new to this forum I have not yet learned the parameters??

As i'm not a professional gardener or filmmaker I doubt you will see my very ordinary

garden..