19 messages
14/03/2013 at 16:48

I've been feeding dried fruit all through the winter but bearing in mind that they say not to feed whole peanuts I was wondering if it ok to keep feeding the dried fruit cos that is quite big as well.  I tried to chop them up in my food processor just in case but they would not chop very well kept sticking together.  I did them by hand in the end but a very long job which I don't fancy doing. 

14/03/2013 at 17:42

The whole peanuts risk geting stuck in baby birds' throats and choking them so I expect big chunks of dried fruit would be as bad.  Have you tried soaking it a bit before chopping in the processor?

I find the parents come and fill their tums at our fat ball, peanut and loose seed feeders and that gives them the energy to hoover all the aphids and caterpillars off my roses, clems and veggies for their babies.   Works well for me as I don't use pesticides and then don't have to go round squishing or picking myself.

14/03/2013 at 19:35

I have a little electric Tesco Chopper that I put the peanuts in and chop them up to bits was only about £7.00  and I do put dried fruit in as well,  I feed the birds 365 so there's always plenty of them about,  they do bring the chicks when they are fledging and feed them from the feeders be it fat ball feeders or seed,  like obelix I think if you feed them regularly they in turn do you the favour by eating the aphids and other  nasties in the garden

14/03/2013 at 19:41

I worry about that too so I usually snip the dried fruit with a small scissors - less cleaning up that way, but when you see the size of some of the insects and fat caterpillars these little birds feed their tiny babies I do wonder .....

14/03/2013 at 22:19

Ah but remember insects and catterpillars are a lot softer than dried fruit,

14/03/2013 at 22:22
Wonder what the birds think about their food processed nuts and scissored fruit do they think we are mad ...what did they do before we started feeding them
14/03/2013 at 22:22

Forgot to mention I soak the fruit too so its soft

14/03/2013 at 22:25
Birds menus at Caz's bird bistro soon to appear
14/03/2013 at 22:27

Probably got on quite well Bunny till we started to destroy the hedgerows and trees but I think some of them do enjoy the company of a human being,  I know I have a male Blackbird that I've called Charlie,  he comes and sit's on the fence when I 'm in the garden digging and sings his sweet song for me. 

14/03/2013 at 22:31
I know rain ...just humouring ... I live remote so plenty birds and wildlife, hedgerows , forests . We are making it harder for them and other wildlife ...but also ourselves , supermarkets everywhere popping up not local food . Sorry different story but made me think.
15/03/2013 at 07:52

There won't be any baby birds about for quite some time. The birds haven't even started nest building yet. So just carry on with the Winter feeding regime.

15/03/2013 at 07:53
Sparrows mating and nesting here
15/03/2013 at 07:57

Ah, but sparrows are notorious for that sort of thing, like rabbits.

15/03/2013 at 08:04
***shy giggling smiley***
15/03/2013 at 14:24

I have Wood Pigeons,  Collard Dove and Blackbird's mating here in part of the country,  often open the blinds to find the "at it" on the top of the fence,  not a very nice thing to see first thing on a morning 

15/03/2013 at 14:32
15/03/2013 at 18:09

Lavender Lady - I throw dried fruit in a little bowl then pour over boiling water from the kettle and leave it for half an hour until it's cool and the fruit is soft.  I've never known if it's a daft thing to do or not!  My peanuts, I pour a pile of them onto a tea-towel, cover with the other end of the tea-towel and then attack them with my little mallet or hammer until they're tiny fragments.  Yes - it's mad in this house!!!!

16/03/2013 at 11:23

Just an ever so  slight  deviation from feeding,  when I was out with the dog a few weeks ago I found an area where a dog with very long soft fur had been brushed,  I picked it up put it in a poo bag and brought it home,  I put it in one of those wire flat suet feeders for the birds in the hope that they might take it for lining their nest's,  I've just noticed that they have started to take some as there's loads missing 

16/03/2013 at 11:25
They're pulling my twine off things too
email image
19 messages