Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I've cleaned out my greenhouse

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi all, after years of neglect I've cleaned the glass inside and out, (except one side that will have to wait til the hedge is cut). 

I've asked all the spider to leave, removed their webs, the snails and the dead insects, cleaned out the dirty pots and put them in the shed, removed the mouse nest from under the potting bench and now there's room to grow something.

Am I too late to do cuttings from such as rue, thymes, Persicaria 'Red Dragon' and dianthus?image

In the sticks near Peterborough

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Well done nut!  Must get my shed done soon - I think there's a barbecue in there which I was given but have never used (and never will) so I could use the space for some of the endless stacks of empty pots I never have space for.  I'd have a go at the cuttings - nothing to lose! image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Well done Nutimage Look forward to seeing some cuttings in there, I would try them; you've got nothing to loseimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Brilliant nut - and we'll want proof that you're doing those cuttings too image

I layer and peg down dianthus as I've never been successful with them as cuttings so hope you do better than me! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Thanks all, I'll get on with it. I was very successful with cuttings of Dianthus 'Mrs Sinkins' in the past. To give you an idea of how long ago, Geoff Hamilton showed me how to do itimage

I've had a bit of a run down time but I'm building up to it again now, even vaguely discussing with OH opening for ngs again. (eventually) He's keen, I know it's not ready.

Fairy, I buried Mrs Sinkins in gravel and it was a success. I must see if there's anything else I can do that with. 

I noticed a very strong looking Persicaria RD emerging from the compost heap as well, must rescue thatimage

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I don't think I'm attentive enough for lots of cuttings if they're needing any kind of cossetting or attention nut. That's why I like that method for dianthus image

I think lots of plants might take that treatment. I'll let you do the experimenting while I build containers and fences....image

I used to have Mrs Sinkins - was thinking of getting her again for this garden. Dianthus are great plants for any style of garden - they have great structure, beautiful  'perfect' little flowers,  tactile foliage, wonderful scent  and are great in containers. What more do you need?  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Lack of attention to cuttings is one of my failings Fairyimage

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Well done! I'm meant to be clearing mine out to dismantle it ready to dig the foundations and then rebuild it alongside the second greenhouse ready for my over wintering and grand starts to 2015 but... image

But, I'm all to familiar with but Claringtonimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Nut image  Bet you soon fill it with things. I'm waiting for 2nd coat of sealant on my concrete floor then I can go and playimage Thank you for your GH advice and we got one same make as yours imageimage