Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

I've discovered something

Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Surprising what you find when you do some tidying up. Poor thing had been forgotten and then lost under the Cardoon. Not a brill picture, but I'm hoping for a lovely poppy.

Has anyone else found any treasures?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sorry should have posted in Plants not Talkback.image

• I have often found that hidden treasure as your clearing up for winter and it always lovely to find a flower blooming or growing when you thought you lost it.and I thought the bulbs i bought were nerver going to flower and they have,lovrly white flowers with a purple center much like a day lily,that was a surprise.image

• PeterE17PeterE17 Posts: 129

Under a Lonicera Nitida, with its occasional purple berries, I found a straggly spiny plant which I took to be a gooseberry. This year it bore a single purple berry. At first I thought it was a Lonicera berry tangled on the spines, but it was actually attached and growing. Then it was eaten on the spot, it tasted slightly like a blackcurrant.

Any ideas anyone? I'm ruling out Jostaberry but putting bets on Worcesterberry because of the spines (and leaves).

• oregan grape ,cant think of its name has spike like leaves and berries a bit like a grape ,jagged leaves and when cut has a yellow sap.I have one in the garden the birds love the fruit.wish i could remember the name.image

Fr - mahonia aquifolium - it's not that, nor any beberis, it's a Ribes of some kind.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Poppy nearly opened. Sun tomoz' so I'm hopeful.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

those yellow Ribes ?alpina/aurea have gooseberry shaped leaves and purple berries

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I have a large woodland and park near my house. I would like some ferns to introduce themselves (there is a lot in the woodland) but that has not happened yet. I always get tree seedlings coming up...I plant them back in the woodland and around my town.It is nice to see some trees that you have grown when you walk/drive by, sad when they are removed.

The nicest things to self grow are Holly,  wild orchids (seem to grow from rhizomes), Pine and Yew seedlings.

Er, nut, I'm trying to be sensitive here ... how did you get to yellow Ribes?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.