London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
16/04/2014 at 09:43

Thanks all. I am now very convinced that the photos above are bindweed, however on a less positive note, we have also definitely found knotweed on another part of the garden

I've been reading up on it and is the concensus that it is better to treat with glyphosate repeatedly rather than trying to dig it up? Currently the shoots are only a few inches high and still red. Is it best to treat while it is so small?

16/04/2014 at 09:45

Oh yes!!!  Start as you mean to go on!!! 

16/04/2014 at 13:09

I've seen on the TV (Country File, I think it was) an expert control Knotweed by cutting the Knotweed down in height to reveal the hollow stems and then injecting weedkiller (no idea which one) into the stem itself.

18/04/2014 at 20:17

Scott:

mercifully I've never had to deal with Knotweed, however I did  read of one control method with , allegedly , good result. Cut the stems to expose the hollow centre, then apply concentrated glyphosate ( roundup ) into those hollow stems. I guess you'd need a very small funnel or an eye dropper. 

Scroll back a few comments. 

19/05/2014 at 20:52

I had Japanese knotweed for about 10 years and at the time did not have a clue what it was.It grew rapidly and reached about 6ft in height and covered an area of around 30 sq metres.I read loads of comments and debates on the best way to get rid of it and the more you read the more frightning it can become.

During the summer of 2012 I bought Roundup Tree stump killer approx cost 13-£14.

I put a capful in a small sprayer and filed it with water then sprayed leaves on each plant.After around 2 weeks they started wilting.As soon as any new shoot appeared I sprayed as soon as a leaf opened.As Spring came in 2013 shoots started to appear but nowhere near as many.Also they seemed thinner and weaker.I sprayed them straight away and any more tat appeared.We are now on 19th May 2014 and not one shoot has appeared.Also I am still using same Roundup I bought in 2012.

I understand that there are huge areas of knotweed around the country which cause no end of problems to people but in my case this seems to have worked very well albeit on an area of approx 30 square metres.Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Dave

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages