Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Japanese knotweed shoots & Mower contamination ?

Hi

I have recently taken over my aging aunts garden responsibilities. I think I may have been mowing over Japanese knotweed shoots. I have since used the same soiled mower/strimmer etc on my garden.

Is this a big mistake or can you uses the same tools mowers etc without cross contamination?

Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have no first hand experience of JKW but I've heard that every little bit grows. But that may be just the roots, what you're mowing will be leaves. You say you think you've been mowing it. If you're not sure post a pic here to ID it. If it's in the lawn there'll be some growing away elsewhere for a photo

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Unfortunately not I will have to wait for some regrowth

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

If it's JKW you won't have to wait for long image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Unforunately Japanese Knotweed is hard to get rid of. 

There was a terrible article in the local of how stressful it can be to get rid of. 

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2014/03/31/lab-tech-killed-wife-and-himself-after-being-driven-mad-by-japanese-knotweed-problem/

One other thing I would add is that when you do work with it make SURE you wash your boots or shoes as a tiniest bit can make it spread. 

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Hi , when i used to do contract work for the local council cutting grass on garage sites, i was told not to cut any Jknotweed at all and report it. They said it can be spread from little saplings coming off the machines. I couldnt say if it true are not though to be honest image

• Oh dear....doesn't sound good. I've had another look and found some more I think. I've attached some photos, can anyone ID this for me please? Thanks

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

That looks like bindweed to me