London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
14/04/2014 at 10:57

Hi

I have recently taken over my aging aunts garden responsibilities. I think I may have been mowing over Japanese knotweed shoots. I have since used the same soiled mower/strimmer etc on my garden.

Is this a big mistake or can you uses the same tools mowers etc without cross contamination?

Thanks

14/04/2014 at 11:01

I have no first hand experience of JKW but I've heard that every little bit grows. But that may be just the roots, what you're mowing will be leaves. You say you think you've been mowing it. If you're not sure post a pic here to ID it. If it's in the lawn there'll be some growing away elsewhere for a photo

14/04/2014 at 11:07

Unfortunately not I will have to wait for some regrowth

14/04/2014 at 11:14

If it's JKW you won't have to wait for long 

14/04/2014 at 22:09

Unforunately Japanese Knotweed is hard to get rid of. 

There was a terrible article in the local of how stressful it can be to get rid of. 

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2014/03/31/lab-tech-killed-wife-and-himself-after-being-driven-mad-by-japanese-knotweed-problem/

One other thing I would add is that when you do work with it make SURE you wash your boots or shoes as a tiniest bit can make it spread. 

14/04/2014 at 22:29

Hi , when i used to do contract work for the local council cutting grass on garage sites, i was told not to cut any Jknotweed at all and report it. They said it can be spread from little saplings coming off the machines. I couldnt say if it true are not though to be honest 

14/04/2014 at 23:24

I can't disagree with Perki, however.  My knowledge of plant pathology etc.  I have never heard of JKW being propagated via stem of foliage cuttings.  As probably others may have quoted.  This plant tends to spread via it's root system.  I have actually experimented to a degree with this plant.   One establishmen that I worked.  Very large garden.  The lower end had a wall.  The otherside of the wall was a pond.  Actually it was more of a reservoir that fed a cooling plant in Woolwich Arsenal.  Close to the gateway, there grew a very large clump of knotweed.  It never in my time, extended its boundaries.  However some twenty or so yards further on, anothe clump.  This I cut down.  In no time at all new growth appeared and satisfyingly, it's boundaries had extended very much.  My conclusion.  It is an an unwanted specimen.  However it appears that.  Left alone.  It will to a degree contain itself.  On the other hand.  Something like as in the day of the triffids.  Interfere with it, ie; cutting it down, and it will retaliate.

15/04/2014 at 11:07

Oh dear....doesn't sound good. I've had another look and found some more I think. I've attached some photos, can anyone ID this for me please? Thanks

15/04/2014 at 11:08

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42425.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42426.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42428.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

15/04/2014 at 11:22

That looks like bindweed to me

15/04/2014 at 11:28

Thanks - I'm hoping that you are correct (unless of course that is also a problem plant!)

15/04/2014 at 12:59

I agree with Muddy Fork. Looks like bindweed (calystegia sepium) to me too, David. A common, perennial weed that's a pain but relatively straightforward to deal with. If you do a search on the forum you'll find plenty of suggestions, tips and tricks for dealing with it! I think mowing will weaken it if you keep it up, anyway     Shame it's so prolific as the flowers are actually quite nice!!

15/04/2014 at 19:14

Bindweed.  This presents it's own means of propagating.  Once it is cut or pulled.  It will double itself.  From your pics.  It looks quite young.  Try digging it out.  As I say, any breaks and it will multiply.  Otherwise you might try  something like  Roundup.  Give the leaves a good praying.  Be careful not to spray anything else.  The weedkiller will be absorbed into the leaves and travel through the stem, to the roots.  Any contact with the soil, the chemical is neutralised.

KEF
15/04/2014 at 19:22

Will folks please look at Newbie Gardener 2014 post about at weed, think that is KW.  

15/04/2014 at 20:03

For bindweed in a lawn, you could keep mowing. If you do that every three days it will give up eventually.

Or you could use glyphosate gel stick  and paint on the leaves, but then you cant mow it until it has gone brown.

15/04/2014 at 21:59

At RHS Wisley, I believe they plant a wooden post close to any bindweed for it to wrap around and grow up. They then treat it with a weedkiller (rubbed directly onto the leaves rather than spraying) which then goes down and kills the roots. Whilst bind weed is a nuisance its not the nightmare that Japanese Knotweed is. You'll be glad to know that there's no need to lose any sleep!  

15/04/2014 at 23:33

Knotweed does not keep to itself and to think it does is  foolish.  Time to control it is when it's small.  Here in Cornwall it is widespread and I'm not sure anyone is really able to kill it

16/04/2014 at 07:55

mercifully I've never had to deal with Knotweed, however I did  read of one control method with , allegedly , good result. Cut the stems to expose the hollow centre, then apply concentrated glyphosate ( roundup ) into those hollow stems. I guess you'd need a very small funnel or an eye dropper. 

1 to 20 of 25 messages