Register with us or sign in
Fidgetbones, overhere in the Netherlands they are considered to be perfect for architectural arrangements or just bound together forming a base for the arrangement. Several florists in my family use them and customers are always warned not to put them in the green bin or on the compost heap.
we visited the minack theatre last year and i saw Jk growing over a wall next to a small brook, beside the road leading to the theatre.
I do know what it looks like, i had it growing up to my first floor window in the carpark of a flat i rented.
If you walk amongst or through knotweed it really is a powerful looking plant. It's rate of growth and spread are amazing.
There is a loss of misleading stuff out there about Japanese knotweed but a lot of folk certainly fear it and I advise anyone to get rid of it before it effects the value of their property.
I recently heard of someone who had a tiny amount and 'declared' it in relation to selling their house. It turned four prospective customers away.
It's probably bad form to mention I blogged about Japanese knotweed last month!
It's bad form not to give us a link Roger
It's a dramatic foliage plant and I can see how it came to be imported.
Thanks nutcutlet, I am still learning the etiquette of blogging!
I don't know the rules Roger. I just like reading about other people's ideas and gardens. Maybe I should start a blog of my own
Makes for very interesting reading, hope I never need to put any of it into action.
My OH has just said ' I hope we haven't carried any home on our tyres' we sometimes call in Worsborough for a drink. Is that possible I wonder?
Make sure you park on the road rather than in the garden summerwine. That stuff has supernatural powers
Yes, think that might be a wise move!!
have had dealings with this japanese knot weed or should I say the bungalow next door to me has after long talks with the shelter house group it has now been removed only taken about 25 years to get rid of it and even now we still not convinced, they spray the younger growth with a very strong herbicide after cutting the older growth down it has also ment they have had to replace the main sewer running through the garden aswell because of the root damage to the pipes in the garden that then lead to a rat problem which has now been sorted aswell, I did do some very interesting research in to this problem before and armed with piles of papers and information I got from internet I contacted the parties involed now a few fact I can tell you is you only need a peace of root half the sizes of your little finger nail to fall on the ground and u will be face with this problem also to dispose of any waste from this plant without a waste transfer lic or declared as contaminate waste if court or reported u will face court action and face a fine or prison I did fined some useful information on youtube about removable and facts just put in Japanese knot weed removal this weed can cause damage to building and footpaths which can lead to a costly bill if found to be in your grounds and you could be face with a bill for the repair. sadly 2 of the ladies who lived in the bungalow died so they did not fine out what the outcome of this problem was and gave them both a lot of worry for the years they lived there is also a problem with this along riverbanks and railway lines where people have fly tip their remains the root can travel up to 6m from any one stem therefore if to bigger problem will result in a very large digger digging a hole as I have seen on a construction site for a new supper market not far from where I live
Thats exactly my view too. It doesn't matter if its a "notifiable" weed technically or not or whatever legal jargon is used or whatever the law may say or not.....this plant is horrendous. It is not easily eradicated and it is the worst possible thug in the plant world.
We had JK behind our pond about 8 years ago, chopped it down, put it in the rubbish bin (our rubbish goes to an incineration plant) and sprayed copiously with glyphosate every time a bit dared to poke its nose up! Took about two seasons before it disappeared completely. But the bamboo we innocently planted in it's place was a damned sight worse! Again, glyphosate and more glyphosate, it finally died but are still pulling out the odd dead roots.
Ok folks, your decision.
are you sure is jk swisssue as there dose seem to be a bit of confusion out there has I found from a site visit I had last week if so wouldn't say about putting in rubbish bin how every is deposed of in the end by the bin emptier as there is still a chance of contamination and even before it was burn it was classed as contaminate wasted and therefore resolved in being disposed of by a licenced contractor
Definitely knotweed, del. Perhaps I should clarify that I live in Switzerland and our waste disposal is different to yours. We do not have landfills here, only large incineration plants where all household rubbish except recyclables such as PET, newspapers, glass, etc. is burned in huge furnaces.
Ours crept across from neighbour who had bought it as a small plant. Sale of JN is now forbidden and there have been warnings to get rid.
that explains that then swiss sue once met a tree feller from Switzerland in 2009 the bad winter or so called big freeze he had been working hear in England up north drove down from Scotland in the snow and ice in a unimog truck [in less than a day cant remember total time] had made the unimog in to a camper van whilst working over here made us English look like wimps and our country came to stand still at first sign of freezeing weather
still seams to be the devil plant everywhere then
I am surprised at the amount of interest regarding my post. Yes I will pursue
this what I will do is take a photo and set a link so you can all take a look and confirm if it is Japanese Knotweed or not Thanks everyone for your concern for our invirement
Hi Carol, yes, take some photos. It's hard to believe that anyone is using and potentially releasing this stuff but we all know just how stupid humans can be. I've done some pretty dim things in my ignorance over the years