London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
41 to 60 of 70 messages
12/03/2013 at 18:29
12/03/2013 at 18:40

Knew you would come to a damsel's aid!!  We must just beg to differ, don't you think. 

12/03/2013 at 18:42

I am finding this debate rather fun and I hope I'm not offending anyone by pursuing the point. I do mean what I say though and it seems that local councillors agree. in the latest acount, it seems that she was given the land and did not know that it was green belt.

12/03/2013 at 18:52

I still maintain that the solicitors of the vendors and the buyers should have been aware - the Deeds/Registry documentation must describe the boundaries accurately. 

12/03/2013 at 18:53

I think we must have come out of the same mould GG.  Like a bit of pleasant banter.  I too was pleased to see the support she has. Power to all OAP's! I've already offered to carry a banner for Frank.  Perhaps Jean would like me to march for her too.  I'll just get my zimmer frame.

12/03/2013 at 18:58

I am sure you are right, Dove. As I've said before, I live in what was just a lane at one time. We discovered after moving here that it is an unadopted road and belongs to the railway authority. This has never been pointed out to us by our solicitor and really, I feel we are entitled to some compensation, since no-one feels responsible to maintain the road. This lady, however, was given the land and the legal position may be quite complicated, I suppose.

12/03/2013 at 19:14
TinaTurner wrote (see)

Knew you would come to a damsel's aid!!  We must just beg to differ, don't you think. 

Tina -on this yes

12/03/2013 at 19:17
TinaTurner wrote (see)

I think we must have come out of the same mould GG.  Like a bit of pleasant banter.  I too was pleased to see the support she has. Power to all OAP's! I've already offered to carry a banner for Frank.  Perhaps Jean would like me to march for her too.  I'll just get my zimmer frame.

Tina, I love your comment. All power to your elbow!

12/03/2013 at 19:22
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

I am sure you are right, Dove. As I've said before, I live in what was just a lane at one time. We discovered after moving here that it is an unadopted road and belongs to the railway authority. This has never been pointed out to us by our solicitor and really, I feel we are entitled to some compensation, since no-one feels responsible to maintain the road. This lady, however, was given the land and the legal position may be quite complicated, I suppose.

You're absolutely right - this should have been sorted out when you bought the property - no decent solicitor should have let you buy the house without establishing who is responsible for maintaining the access!!!  That's appalling practice - I really would seek advice from the SRA http://www.sra.org.uk/home/home.page 

12/03/2013 at 19:23

Obviously, this is your area of expertise, Dove. Thanks for the advice. Once again, welcome back!

12/03/2013 at 19:35

Thanks 

12/03/2013 at 20:18

As a rallying point for support for Jean Bailey, this thread rather fails, though. Pity!

12/03/2013 at 20:21

BTW, it was the subtitle of this thread that first attracted my attention. Garden threatened by snowdrops?? Was this a new, militant strain of snowdrops? I asked myself.

12/03/2013 at 20:27

Hi Gardening Grandma - if nothing else, at least it's getting people to talk about it and discuss whether or not certain planning laws ought perhaps to be changed.  However, you'll have seen that my point of view is that if there's a law, we should abide by it - and then do what we can to persuade The Powers That Be to see things differently if that appears to be the majority view.

12/03/2013 at 20:53

I quite agree. Publicity is a good persuasion technique! It does look as though the local councillors will place limits on what can be done to her, anyway. The clerks concerned were probably just following the guidelines they have been given. That's the trouble with a large, bureaucratic organisation like a council - there's often no-one ultimately supervising what happens.

12/03/2013 at 20:54

Much as it maligns me, as I do love a nice garden especially with a nice pond, (one in the planning stages already!) I have to go with the law on this one, but not just on people who make nice gardens on greenbelt, but on everyone who nicks greenbelt. As I said, and I believe the geoff-monster (dressing-gown aside, or should I say open) agrees with, if you let somebody have this, then it sets precedent for everyone else, before you know it there's no greenbelt  left. It's a tough case, but if they take this lovely garden to task, they should also take all the unscrupulous, ie the dodgey chicken farmers, gypsies that just set up, etc. The land is greenbelt for a reason, yes it's a nice garden, but when the house is sold, someone else might build an extension or brick buildings on it, then it isn't a lovely garden, it's brick development on greenbelt land. That's the bit most aren't seeing, deeds last forever, so this property could be 100 or 200 years down the road with stuff then being built on it with no impunity.

12/03/2013 at 21:08

I take your point. It is still designated as green belt, though, so presumably the restriction on building will still be in force. Building is a lot more serious than a pond so maybe we just need to keep a sense of proportion.

12/03/2013 at 21:16

Yes GG, the problem is, you develop a piece of land, even just a nice ornamental garden, then you are in a grey area, and the authorities don't like grey areas, because it allows the scummier side of society to take liberties. Unfortunately that is the way society is, but I'd prefer there is zero tolerance and my kids and grandkids and great grandkids can still enjoy the UK and it's wildlife, than allow precedent on greenbelt land. Yes it's a lovely garden, yes it's really harsh, but that is the regulations, the minute you make exceptions is when you basically shouldn't have made the law in the first place.

12/03/2013 at 21:23

BTW, it was the subtitle of this thread that first attracted my attention. Garden threatened by snowdrops?? Was this a new, militant strain of snowdrops? I asked myself.

Need to go to specsavers GG

I take your point. It is still designated as green belt, though, so presumably the restriction on building will still be in force. Building is a lot more serious than a pond so maybe we just need to keep a sense of proportion.

My thoughts exactly.  Building permission would probably never be granted. Saying that, I have a feeling that permission is granted on greenbelt land if it suits.  What about this new fast railway proposed or a I talking a load of rubbish.  Feel free to shoot me down if I have got the wrong end of the stick.  I can take it!

12/03/2013 at 21:46

yes TT, it's all about where the money flows really, and who you know. Politicians always look after each other, you telling me that this high speed line, which will actually take longer than the main service once you factor in getting across town, hasn't had many palms greased? This whole idea of a high speed train is flawed, you get to birmingham then take 40 mins to get to the next station.. which is 3 miles away but across the city. Some serious cash has gone into pockets on this, hence why it's being forced through. Another white elephant.

41 to 60 of 70 messages