London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
12 messages
02/07/2014 at 17:40

Evening all, I have been to Homebase and noticed they are selling Multi Purpose Compost, on the bag it states   (( With added John Innes )) with John Innes being a formula  are they telling lies.

02/07/2014 at 17:44

Alan.......I've never worked that one out either

I have tried various brands of JI............years ago, you could rely on the formula being followed to the T..............these days, nothing is at it seems IMO.

02/07/2014 at 18:41
Maybe they have added some John Innes no. 1, 2 or 3. This is to fool (?) you that the multi-purpose is better than it is.

John Innes is a formula that is used to make up soil for specific potting purposes.

No, they are not lying, one hopes.
02/07/2014 at 18:44

Yeah, it's meaningless.  They could have made a batch of compost, perfectly formulated to one of the JI standards (which one though?!) but then only added a teaspoonful!

02/07/2014 at 18:53

WelshOnion.......Mmmmmm...........seems a bit stupid tho doesn't it ?  You either buy Multi purpose or you buy specific purpose............so little point in "added JI"..........particularly if they don't specify which JI formula they have supposedly added. 

I don't think it will fool most of us.......hopefully, they'll get the drift before too long and dump this particular advertising ploy.

02/07/2014 at 18:55

Poor old John Inne, has He been exhumed, ground up and added to the bags?

02/07/2014 at 19:07

Nutcutlet ..  Judging by the way he is getting around these days, he must have been a really, really BIG bloke

02/07/2014 at 19:44

J. Arthur Bowers Multi Purpose is very poor... but the MP plus JI is usable if more expensive. In this case there is a difference.

02/07/2014 at 19:57

the JAB MP is totally naff this year, the peat free isn't so bad

02/07/2014 at 20:09
03/07/2014 at 16:38

Hi Dove Sorry , that was one i missed when they were carving me up i think, I emptied the Darlek today as it wasn't doing anything and bagged and binned it all ,a messy load it was too, then Kate pointed out i had placed the darlek on pebbles so the worms would hardly get in to do there job, sometimes i just wonder where im coming from ,I  think i,ll blame the anesthetic. volunteered to do the ironing this morning, then ,decided to de scale the iron and blew the mains, comes in threes they say .

03/07/2014 at 19:06

I think the mpc with John innes is heavier.  Prob more useful in containers that might otherwise blow over.  

Currently I'm usIng a levington mpc claiming to hold 20% more moisture...?  Well, it feels a little more substantial but mpc generally is pretty awful now.

Used to mix sieved soil and mpc for containers and thought it pretty good and had less attacks of vine weevil 

For any permanent container plantIng I would always use John innes

email image
12 messages