London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
121 to 140 of 222 messages
20/05/2014 at 23:31
Yep sounds like that needs medical attention now Mike.What are you supposed to do,sit in agony over the bank holiday?? Could a nurse come out from your local GP surgery?

Hang in there mate and much love, the fishes
20/05/2014 at 23:39

Keep strong Mike 

Bal
21/05/2014 at 00:59

Thinking of you Mike. It does sound like it might be an infection. Get to the doctors or A&E as soon as you can, or call the doctor out if the thought of the journey is too much. Hope you get a good nights rest at least.

21/05/2014 at 07:09

Thinking of you this morning Mike and hoping you're ok ((hugs))

21/05/2014 at 07:29

Mike - please get some attention for that. My Dad suffered in silence with a broken arm after taking a tumble in the bathroom, and despite me telling him I'd come and take him to get it looked at he kept playing it down as just being 'a little bit sore'. When I came round two days after it had happened I couldn't believe the state of it. He was frightened of having  to go to hospital and leave my Mum. Fiercely independent.

Don't be a hero - it doesn't sound right  

21/05/2014 at 07:31

Just a thought - can you phone your surgery and ask the Practice Nurse for advice - tell her how much pain you're in.  

21/05/2014 at 07:42

Mike, so sorry that you're in such pain.  I'd agree with Bal, and if you can't face travelling in the car to A&E, ask your GP for a home visit.  It sounds like an infection to me, my brother-in-law has experienced the same problem when the catheter needs to be changed.  Don't delay.  Hope to hear that you're feeling better very soon..

21/05/2014 at 07:48

Some good advice there Mike.  

21/05/2014 at 10:11

Good morning, Mike

For what it's worth (ie me not being a medical bod) I have to agree with others saying you should let the medical professionals know you are in so much pain.  Unfortunately, they aren't going to be asking you how you're doing and you have to shout loud to the get the attention you need these days.  I know this from recent experience with my mum who has been back and forth to the hospital / GP for months.  Please, please see someone who can help.  You're in my thoughts.  x

21/05/2014 at 11:44

Mike.

Firstly - don't try pulling it out yourself tempting though it might be - if its attached itself to a clot or such like it will create an awful mess and pain. Much better to let the nurses do it and then they can be on hand to mop up anything unexpected. I'm sure the chances of that happening are tiny but the last thing we want is for you to take any risks. Now they don't normally hurt but we can all imagine that while you were under the doctors were less than gentle with all the tugging and shoving making sure they got all the cancer out so its no surprise you're going to be bruised all over. But they really ought have given you something a little stronger than paracetamol to take as required.

Secondly - get yourself off to A&E if you think you're up to the car journey. Yes I know we don't like to bother the nurses with such minor things but believe me they're used to it and would rather treat you, a polite gentleman left high and dry by the NHS now desperate for help than a drunk who thinks its his right to get as pissed as a fart, fall over banging his head, and assault a nurse because she wouldn't let him keep hold of the vodka bottle.

Unfortunately A&E tend to have to look after the likes of you a lot as paperwork gets lost and appointments slip. A friend who works in A&E has told me this I am fortunate not to have to experience it. A&E will either sort you out there and then (especially if you just want it removing) or get you booked in the system (again) and push you up to the right department to get you treated.Once you're in the system there'll be a nurse ready to fight your battle and make sure you get the treatment you need.

Thirdly - if you can't face the journey phone your GP and tell them that unless they can get out to see you TODAY than you will have to call an ambulance. Make it your GPs responsibility to either treat you or have you taken to A&E. This way when you call for an ambulance (don't worry they wont be flashing blue lights over in three minutes jobby they respond as appropriate so you may have to wait a while as a "low priority" case - use the 112 number) both the person taking the call and the paramedics who arrive will be aware that you've been abandoned and been forced to do this and if they're anything like my friends will be swearing bloody murder at the people who have left you like this. I had a trip to hospital in an ambulance after an operation went wrong several years ago - I just couldn't sit up long enough to survive the car journey without passing out after a few minutes (my spinal fluid was leaking out the hole they'd made) . The chaps who looked after me were so kind to me and told me that they weren't on 999 calls they were a dedicated team picking patients up their homes / GPs to be taken to hospital.

Fourthly - a cotton bud with a little diluted TCP is quite helpful for cleaning up around your spout / catheter interaction point and might help keep it clean so any infection can't develop. I find a cotton bud gives you a little better griping point so you can be very gentle.

Oh Mike you should see my blood pressure seeing you struggle like this. I wish I lived close enough to be shouting down the telephone on your behalf.

21/05/2014 at 14:34
Wow Clarington there's some brilliant advice there.You are so right though,you do have to make yourself heard because I've found this in getting medical attention for my wife.
21/05/2014 at 15:50

Are you listening to us all Mike, as you've aid we are all friends so I (we) hope you have done as you are told and got some medical advice.  I hope you are feeling a little better today ((hugs)) x

21/05/2014 at 20:32

Mike, I am going to PM you with my phone number.  As you know, I have been through all this with my dad, and I would really to speak to you and Amanda, so that I can tell her all the 'buzz words' I used and 'buttons I pressed' with the NHS and social services, so that she can advocate for you as powerfully as possible.  xxx

21/05/2014 at 22:19

Please take Busy Bee up on her offer Mike.

Those buzz words make a huge difference believe me.

21/05/2014 at 22:40

BB2.  You are such a dear friend.  In fact you all are.  Andy.  When leaving school all those years ago. I had my heart set on a medical career.  Sadly the education wasn't upto scratch and my parents were very poor.  However over the years.  I have kept up my own personal med studies.  My main interest was in Obstetrics and Gyneay.  Watching my youngest being borne strenthened my interest.  So I have a fair knowledge of the medical scene.  Just continue giving Theresa loads of TLC, try not to pamper though. Despite anaesthetics have improved over the years, for many patients once they come to, that's it.  Other can retain in their system for  several weeks, the effects. Please don't worry too much.  I am sure she will recover.  Should you become over concerned, check with your GP.  Not suggesting there is, but in prolonged cases, medication for other problems can affect this.  Give her a big kiss and a hug from Mike.

Folks, at last the QE Hosp at Woolwich contacted Amanda this morning.  The charge nurse of the dept. Apologised for the dely, cock-up or whatever.  According to her. My name and serial number just didn't come up on the computer.  Oh, tell dad not to worry. The catheter can stay in for fourteen days.  I have had a cancellation.  I can fit dad in Friday morning 09.30  He will stay for a bout three hours.  Amand held no punches when contacting the hospitals.  She remains firm, but is much more diplomatic than me.  Despite my gentle manner.  I have been used tgo giving the orders.  Amanda had mention to the pros' of taking me to A&E.  Just like going to my GP.  Surgery has taken place. Mike has become the sole property of the urology dept.  Never mind the pain of this plastic tube poked up my twiddly bit.  Actuall from start to the present.  I have had no pin or discomfort from the cause.  It is this 'ruddy' plastic tube.  Jokingly, I wonder. Is this where I left my dibber.  Believe me....it damn well feels like it.  Truthfully.   I live in a tiny first floor flat/maisonette.  Once up stairs all is on the level.  To get from the sitting room...aptly named at the moment.  It takes me ages to get up out of the chair.  An observer might think I had something wrong with my rear.  To walk from the sitting room to the kitchen, can't be more than a dozen steps.  I feel that half the day has gone.  Depite my general disablilities, I am used to being up and running. Now I am tottering around like some poor sad old so and so on his last.  As I have said. The pain is all down to the catheter, especially at the point of entry.  The continual waggerling and pulling and pushing.  Apart from that.  I still feel a cheeky as ever.  One thing that does cause me to ponder.  The local hospital.  This really is where it all more or less began.  OK.  I weed some blood, i tried to self treat via homeopathy.  I consulted my GP suspecting I'd caught a chill in the kineys.  He agreed.  Course of antibiotics.  Three days late thye bleed had stopped.  StillI was in no pain.  As a safeguard Fausto, my GP called for a scan and bloods.  The scan showed some defects, So the big boys were the next step.  More blood tests.  Remeber, Mike had an adversion to needles and blood, especially when it was mine. Thankfully I have now over come those fears.  I had ct scans.  Sorry Mike.  You are not pregnant.  Blimey! I could have been world famous and very rich.  Then the cystocopomy, camera up spout.  Very painful.  At tis point the bedside manner of th consultant had disa

21/05/2014 at 22:46

OOPs seem I ranout of space.  I will await you kind comments, but over and above all. Please don't worry on my behalf.

Lots of love to one and all.

Mike.xxx

21/05/2014 at 23:39

So long as you see a doctor, hurting and smelling sounds like an infection to me, as I said before. Don't try to pull it out, no matter how mad it drives you. There is a little blown up ball thing at the end to stop it falling out, air will have to be let out first to deflate it before gently easing it out. I have removed many in the past.

22/05/2014 at 06:56

Good morning Mike - glad to see you're a bit more chipper and that Amanda seems to have got the wheels in motion.  

I'm not surprised that somehow the computer couldn't find you - it used to happen to me all the time - my surname was an unusual spelling of a common word - people always typed it in wrong and of course the computer couldn't find it!!!   

And a friend currently having chemo was told that because she was diagnosed at one hospital but treated at another, she fell into a 'grey area' and neither of them was responsible for her!!! Just what you want to hear when you're going through the side effects of the chemo, not to mention the scariness of the diagnosis she'd just been given!!!  Fortunately her hub works for the NHS and has kicked some a***s.

Anyway, do as everyone (especially Amanda) tells you.   Looking forward to hearing that you're feeling much better soon ((hugs))

22/05/2014 at 08:37
Morning Mike and here's hoping you're in a little less pain today.Many thanks for your very kind concern for Theresa,she is having some pain still but not as much as immediate post-op.She is indeed though on other medication for her other conditions,in fact a bucket load and she did take a while to shake off the effects of the GA.

Anyway enough of us.Please be sure to listen to the advice of these lovely people on here and take up the offer from Bee.So Friday 9 30am and hopefully they can get you sorted out.Thinking of you my friend and I'll be sure to give Theresa those hugs and kisses.

Much love from the Fishes
22/05/2014 at 09:15

*drums hand on desk impatiently waiting til Friday 09:30*

121 to 140 of 222 messages