London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 8°C
121 to 140 of 195 messages
21/05/2014 at 15:50

Are you listening to us all Mike, as you've aid we are all friends so I (we) hope you have done as you are told and got some medical advice.  I hope you are feeling a little better today ((hugs)) x

21/05/2014 at 20:32

Mike, I am going to PM you with my phone number.  As you know, I have been through all this with my dad, and I would really to speak to you and Amanda, so that I can tell her all the 'buzz words' I used and 'buttons I pressed' with the NHS and social services, so that she can advocate for you as powerfully as possible.  xxx

21/05/2014 at 22:19

Please take Busy Bee up on her offer Mike.

Those buzz words make a huge difference believe me.

21/05/2014 at 23:39

So long as you see a doctor, hurting and smelling sounds like an infection to me, as I said before. Don't try to pull it out, no matter how mad it drives you. There is a little blown up ball thing at the end to stop it falling out, air will have to be let out first to deflate it before gently easing it out. I have removed many in the past.

22/05/2014 at 06:56

Good morning Mike - glad to see you're a bit more chipper and that Amanda seems to have got the wheels in motion.  

I'm not surprised that somehow the computer couldn't find you - it used to happen to me all the time - my surname was an unusual spelling of a common word - people always typed it in wrong and of course the computer couldn't find it!!!   

And a friend currently having chemo was told that because she was diagnosed at one hospital but treated at another, she fell into a 'grey area' and neither of them was responsible for her!!! Just what you want to hear when you're going through the side effects of the chemo, not to mention the scariness of the diagnosis she'd just been given!!!  Fortunately her hub works for the NHS and has kicked some a***s.

Anyway, do as everyone (especially Amanda) tells you.   Looking forward to hearing that you're feeling much better soon ((hugs))

22/05/2014 at 08:37
Morning Mike and here's hoping you're in a little less pain today.Many thanks for your very kind concern for Theresa,she is having some pain still but not as much as immediate post-op.She is indeed though on other medication for her other conditions,in fact a bucket load and she did take a while to shake off the effects of the GA.

Anyway enough of us.Please be sure to listen to the advice of these lovely people on here and take up the offer from Bee.So Friday 9 30am and hopefully they can get you sorted out.Thinking of you my friend and I'll be sure to give Theresa those hugs and kisses.

Much love from the Fishes
22/05/2014 at 09:15

*drums hand on desk impatiently waiting til Friday 09:30*

22/05/2014 at 09:38
Morning Mike, not much else I can say really as I t has been said, I can only echo other sentiments and hope you get sorted on Friday. Sending more hugs....for you and Amanda who is doing a fantastic job.
22/05/2014 at 09:43

Mike I am so much happier to know that Amanda's persistence has paid off.  Everyone in your position needs an advocate, whether it be a partner, a son or daugher, a friend or neighbour, we would all do well to think about who would do that for us in that situation, because the NHS is like an enormous ediface, where the people who bang loudest on the doors are the people who get treated first and best.  And when you are ill, you just don't have the energy for all that. 

My parents generation, who went through the war, always had a habit of imagining that there were other people worse off than themselves, and they didn't want to be a nuisance.  But being like that, nowadays, will get you nowhere with medical treatment.  With my Dad, we had to transfer treatment from Surrey to Lincolnshire (between operation and follow up - radiotherapy et al), and that was incredibly stressful - exactly the grey area that Dove talks about, self imposed yes, but at the time my mother was in decline, and I couldn't manage their problems from 200 miles away, hold on to my job, deal with having a child and a husband with M.E./chronic fatigue.

The NHS and social services will use 'family' as much as you allow them to, and that is part of what I would want to tell you and Amanda.  You both need to be very clear about what she can commit to, given her own situation.  The NHS in Surrey were very good at wondering why I wasn't there with my parents, just as the parents of the children to whom I was teaching GCSE and A-level in Lincolnshire were very good at wondering why their child's teacher was off work again. 

Hopefully, you do not have some of the complications my dad had (like having macular degeneration in his eyes which meant he couldn't see properly to connect and disconnect the day-bag to the night-bag himself) and insufficient memory to be able to be trusted with his pills - not that he had Alzheimers or anything, just never was that good at remembering things! 

The way we had this described to us was that the bladder is like a balloon which inflates and deflates as the urine builds up and is released.  Over time, like a balloon which has been blown up and let down, the quality of the rubber, or muscles, will deteriorate a bit.  You have had an operation on the balloon, and the less inflating and deflating that goes on, the quicker it will heal - so the catheter takes away the urine before it has a chance to gather and cause a stretch.  So unpleasant, and painful as it is, it is doing an important job, and is not so much a leftover from the operation, as an aid to internal healing.  When it comes out, your muscles will have to go back to work, and sometimes that requires a bit of re-adjustment.  I hope it will be out very soon - if not on Friday then in two weeks as they said.  Let us know when your appointments are. 

And if you are bored, ring me anyway.  You have my number.  It is a wet old day here right now, so I can't get on with all the things I wanted to.  Hugs as ever - Bee xx

22/05/2014 at 10:18

Busy bee makes a good point regarding your muscles needing to get back used to the idea of your bladder filling fully before it is emptied. When the catheter is removed try no to plan any trips out for a couple of days. If you're anything like I was you'll immediately notice that you have to plan your whole day around being close to a loo as your bladder "forgets" how to hold as much fluid and it'll take a few weeks to recover.

BUT and I mean this in my sternest voice don't see this frequent peeing as a reason not to drink as much (WATER! Dash it Mike put down that whiskey bottle you know we mean water!! :P ) It's very important that you keep your fluid levels up and your bladder is flushed through so no germs can take hold.

(23 hours 10 minutes).

22/05/2014 at 22:37

Gosh that's a big weight loss Mike and to think the the effort I went to so that I could lose 4 1/2lb last week.....and I still weigh more than you!!  I had food poisoning last year and lost 8lb in 4 days, unfortunately as soon as I could eat again (after about a week) it went straight back on!

Seriously though, don't worry about the weight loss for now just worry about getting better.  Before you know it you will be out and about and putting it back on....you need chocolates  As always, hugs xx

22/05/2014 at 22:52

No offence taken at all Mike honestly, I hope my post didn't read wrong 

23/05/2014 at 22:46

That must be a relief, Mike. Did they say or do anything about the pain?

23/05/2014 at 23:01

That's good news Mike about removing the 'spare parts', I hope they can do something about the pain or that it eases on it's own.  Now don't be rushing out doing gardening, just enjoy the view of your beautiful flowers.  I'm sure they can look after themselves for a little longer after all the years you have given looking after them.  Take care and don't over do it xx

23/05/2014 at 23:09

Good news Mike, hope pain is easing off. Take care of youself and ditto about doing anything in the garden. Just sit and relax, listen to music, read a book and enjoy  just sitting in the garden weather permitting.

Take care very best wishes and hugs Lily xx

23/05/2014 at 23:30
Good to hear that's out Mike,hopefully you can begin to heal properly now.I'm sure the garden can wait until you're a bit more mobile,concentrate on yourself in the meantime. Take care now and much love from the fishes
24/05/2014 at 08:21

Mike - strange how the world has changed isn't it. My grandmother once admitted she hadn't seen a chap in the all together until my father was born! While my friends and I all grew up running around the garden in our all together. 

Glad you've been disconnected!

24/05/2014 at 11:26

Mike, so pleased to hear that your catheter's been removed and that you are feeling more comfortable.  Enjoy watching your garden flourish, it will help to keep you positive.  Take care.

25/05/2014 at 08:43

Well put Mike I agree with everything you said, people don't have any self respect anymore it's becoming a horrible world to live in, it's very sad 

25/05/2014 at 08:48

Oh no, don't get depressed - lots of people still have lots of self respect and are kind and honest people - look at all the kindness on here. 

Some things aren't the way we personally would like them - but it has ever been thus - but as long as we greet the world with a smile it will be a good place 

Of course, things will be much better when I'm in charge   - but they haven't told me when it's my turn 

121 to 140 of 195 messages