London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
15 messages
23/04/2013 at 12:57

Hello all

I joined a short whilst ago but didn't get a chance to pop on here and use the forums and say hi to everyone.

Ive got an allotment, I love it and find it a lovely way of de-stressing after a hard days slog in the office, since having it my stress levels have reduced dramatically. 

I grow everything from fruit and veg to flowers and herbs.  Some days after work I don't go up to do any work on the plot, instead I just like to pop up, make a cup of tea and just relax in on the plot listening to the birds and perhaps say hello to a couple of fellow plot holders. 

We have all sorts of wildlife on our lottie site, deer, badgers, foxes, rabbits, moles, mice as well as a variety of birds including some buzzards over the back and, not forgetting the pheasents - a pair seem to have taken a liking to our plot and I keep finding them on it of an evening - Im just hoping they arn't looking for somewhere to nest.

I love getting my hands dirty - the feel of the soil, the smell of fresh air and the tranquil sounds of the breeze through the trees and the evening birdsong is just heavenly.

Anyway, I hope I'm able to advise and am made to feel welcome on your forums. 

For now though, my lunchbreak is nearly over and I must make a cuppa before I start work again.

TTFN

VP

p.s I wasn't sure which forum area to pop into and say hi. x

23/04/2013 at 13:04

Hi veggiepatch, welcome. Have a poke round all the threads and see what suits you

23/04/2013 at 13:07

Afternoon veggiepatch and welcome.  Lots of knowledgeable people on here (not me) and those needing help.

23/04/2013 at 14:13

Hi veggiepatch welcome i just started gardening last Sept and find this forum great for help and advice members very friendly am sure you will enjoy it. Like you i find the garden a chill out place to be and love seeing things grow and mature to make the gardens look good.

23/04/2013 at 14:46

hi veggie patch and welcome to the nut house. I too have an allotment. I call it my little piece of heaven. Its in the middle of lots of houses and backs onto the railway line. I always feel better when ive been down there, the chap on the next plot has a gas stove and the kettle is always on. On this forum is a lot of chat and information. Lifes too short to be serious all the time.

23/04/2013 at 15:10

Hi veggie-hope you enjoy the posts and posting! There are plenty of very helpful, nice people on here and as Maud says- we all like a laugh too.

Agree with you totally about the de stressing and listening to the birds and wildlife. 

Is there anything better really?

23/04/2013 at 16:56

Hi VeggiePatch.  Welcome to the nut house!  Lots of people on here to advice and sympathise (when things don't go quite to plan), I've had lots of useful advice here.  Lots of leg pulling too!

Gardening should be available on prescription!

23/04/2013 at 17:00
Hello veggie patch
Warm welcome to the forum
I like to grow veg too....mainly summer salads...but grow most everything I guess.
Look forward to your comments, advice or questions
23/04/2013 at 17:12

24/04/2013 at 10:52

Hi Veggiepatch. I can only repeat what others have said. The forum is great for exchanging info and also a nice place to chat about anything

24/04/2013 at 14:33
Hi Veggiepatch, you have chosen a great way to de-stress. Gardening is therapeutic and can also keep you fit, never mind the odd ache after digging etc. Most of the people I know who have taken up gardening have retired but many like yourself still working and particularly in an office find they need to get out and get some fresh air. Oh, I should mention the benefits of growing your own food and flowers etc.. and war against pests. You get them in the garden as well as in the office!!! Good luck and enjoy the forums.
26/04/2013 at 12:08

Hello all

Thank you for making me feel welcome, it sounds like you have a great bunch of virtual friends on here who are very knowledgeable.  Ive been on allotments most of my life working along side my mum on hers back in the 70's.  I was only old enough to sow a few peas but like most of us it's the early days when we were toddlers sowing a few peas or beans that sowed the interest in gardening fruit and veg.  Since then I have always grown my own either on an allotment or, in my garden or, in tubs when I didn't have either. 

VP

26/04/2013 at 16:50

Hi VP......your allotment sounds really lovely.....especially all the wildlife......it's has a world of its own gardening doesn't it.......definately Is a destresser. I live in aflat, have a balcony with loads of seedlings, plants, ,cold frame, and my flat at the moment is full of cuttings waiting for the warmer weather.  I also look after a garden which is all raised beds of shrubs and bedding plants in the summer.  Just thinking gardening is also good for sleeping....done quite a bit today and could nod off very easily.

anyway VP enjoy the site.

26/04/2013 at 17:31

Hi VP welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable to chat on here giving and receiving lots of advice, I've found everyone so friendly, mad but friendly lol! I'm relatively new to veggie gardening and picking up lots of info here but sometimes it's nice just to pop in to say hello and see what everyone's been up to. It also keeps you motivated when things don't always go to plan. hope you enjoy it too!

27/04/2013 at 09:32

the wildlife are lovely but not when you  get to your plot to harvest your sweetcorn and the badgers have got  them first, they always seem to know when they are perfectly ripe for harvesting  or the pheasants strip your peas overnight lol!  everything has to be netted and  we have 7ft fencing around our plots to keep out the deer.  

but for all of that we are luck to have such diverse wildlife  our lottie site.  and i wouldnt have it any other way.

email image
15 messages