London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
19 messages
27/03/2014 at 15:06

I am the lucky recipient of an old butler's sink in good condition which I would like to use in the garden---id there anything special that I should do to it before setting it up with plants? And what would readers recommend--a herb garden in it or an alpine garden???

Eagerly looking forward to your ideas---

27/03/2014 at 17:11

Depends where you site it.............plenty of good gritty compost will allow you to have a variety of alpines/house leeks or WHY. 

Just ensure that you allow drainage whatever you go for.

One thing about old sinks is that the enamel finish on the inside does tend to stop plant roots getting a grip.......you could always make an interior "lining" by mixing some sharp sand/grit with a tad of cement and making a thin layer bottom and sides........that way, the plants can get a grip.

If you get it right, they do make an attractive planting area.

27/03/2014 at 17:19

If you look up 'hypertufa' on the web it gives loads of advice if you want to turn the sink into a replica stone trough.

27/03/2014 at 17:47

Why do the roots need to grip the inside of the sink, Philippa?

27/03/2014 at 19:05

Are  you saying that all these ''sinks'' we see with plants in, have an interior lining---seems a lot of ''kerfufle' if I may say so? I knew I had to ensure good drainage, then thought you just popped plants in, with suitable compost.-------

27/03/2014 at 19:36

Jealous.com, I would LOVE  one of those 

Cant advise in compost etc as would have no idea myself, but personally I would have it as a herb garden 

27/03/2014 at 19:46

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40826.jpg?width=329&height=350&mode=max

Its easy to add a hypertufa covering like the one above, this one has a polystyrene fish box as its base, but would work just as well with a porcelain sink.

27/03/2014 at 19:51

Steve............just that when you plant stuff in the ground, there is always room through the soil for the roots to grow.  If the roots suddenly come up against a smooth surface, they can't get any further.  A smooth surface also allows water to "sit".

You can argue the same happens in a pot...........b ut if you want to have the sink as a fairly long lasting "planter", I've always found a rough surface is better than a smooth surface.

Just my experience .............I would never plant  something in a pot which was glazed on the inside..........you are just providing a sink for water to sit in.

Each to their own I guess

27/03/2014 at 20:06

I have one  and I made an alpine garden

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40827.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

My plants didn't seem to have any issues growing! Hahaha!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/40828.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

27/03/2014 at 22:01

Would love a butlers sink, wouldn't cover it up. Would use mine for a small rockery garden.

Think I should put this on the envy thread Panda 

27/03/2014 at 22:13

My butler sink was, what I consider, cheap, £30. I got it from a place that sells that kinda stuff.  Not much help, sorry 

27/03/2014 at 22:28

Actually, I think if I could get one (especially for £30) I'd have it in the kitchen!  My new stainless steel one is so thin it bends when you turn the taps!

27/03/2014 at 23:33

Never had a problem with glazed surfaces in sinks. Not aware that any alpine growers do anything to the inside surface. Air will "stop" a root but why should a slippery surface? Glass, ceramic or plastic works fine for me.

28/03/2014 at 11:40

Me too Lily  Just had a quick scan on eBay and there are a few on there, some with bids of only £20 and 1 day left 

28/03/2014 at 11:57

Think I'll have a look Tracey thaaannnkkks!!

28/03/2014 at 11:58

They are all down south so no good for me and OH cab breath a sigh of relief!!  May keep  looking though 

28/03/2014 at 12:43

Nearest to me was £80 on ebay   But will keep looking, as they started at £10. Happy hunting Tracey 

28/03/2014 at 13:03

We were lucky and one had been left in the shed when we moved in....I thought about using it for a planter, but in the end set it up as a sink in the garden where I can wash the veggies from the little allotment plot we have. Trouble is...now I want more to use as planters....

28/03/2014 at 18:46

trillium......I wasn't suggesting it only applied to alpines............I'd do the same whatever I planted in a container which was glazed on the inside..

I assumed the OP was asking for advice........I offered my suggestions.............what works for me............I'm certainly not forcing my opinions on other posters. If you are successful doing it another way, that's fine and your opinion is as valid as the next persons  

email image
19 messages