Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Knowing when to stop

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I never know when to stop. I went out this morning to take branch off a tree paeony. So much growth this tear I could sit on one of the seats. Then another branch making the steps very narrow, so off it comes. Branches of Viburnum bodnantense are crowding a choisya, off they come. and that one hiding the solomon's seal, and that bit of Cotoneaster lacteus is stifling those hellebores and Molly the Witch.

So now I have a shredding mountain again, not a pleasant summer job. It will have to wait

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Yes, but think of what it would eventually look like if you hadn't gone out with your loppers. The thugs would eventually take over and smother your treasures and, at this year's accelerated growth rate, sooner rather than later.imageimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,030

I never have time to start when the summer comes! Either it's too hot, or there's a thunderstorm or we have friends and family to stay or we are going to England to see friends and family.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

You're right WW. Just need to get to grips with bindweed now.

and all those other branches

more a saw than a lopper job though. Some of the branches are logs for the woodburnerimage

• I now stay at home for most of the summer, so as to work on the garden and enjoy it. Treats and visits come install bursts. Then I hibernate all winter!!!!image

• Bindweed is one of my next jobs but have just read on another thread that pulling it encourages it to spread underground. Is that true? 

Dunno WW but can't think of anything better.

I do pruning and tree stuff through the winter. Shredding is a nice warming job then

• If you cut your own firewood it warms you twiceimage.

That is trueimage

• Thanks Verd. I think I will pull it for now so as not to risk Glysophate on my dahlias. I will try weedkiller later when the regrowth is taking stuff down to the roots.