4 messages
08/08/2013 at 14:05

I have what I believe is a Kolkwitzia bush in my garden (inherited when we moved in).  This year it has only straggly branches and had very few flowers. It is about 6ft tall and has some arching stems, but looks pretty sad this year. Much of the wood seems old, although with white peeling bark it looks attractive.   But what should I do to rejuvenate the bush.  Gardening books say cut to grounds, but not when and how quickly qill it grow back.

Help and advice please. 

08/08/2013 at 17:26

strangely enough I was Googling this just yesterday - I found the following info:

Maintain the flowering performance of the beauty bush by pruning each year immediately after flowering. Cut back flowered stems to a sideshoot that hasn’t produced flowers or to a plump bud. Congested plants can have one-in-three stems removed, starting with the oldest. Old and neglected plants can be rejuvenated in the same way. Established plants tend to sucker and these may need to be removed.

This info was on the "July pruning" page of http://www.crocus.co.uk/features/_/articleid.977/   Now I haven't done ours yet even though it says July as it is still flowering so I will probably tackle it in the next week or two, as even if it's still flowering then I want it to have enough time to grow bewfore the winter.

08/08/2013 at 19:05

Easy peasy.   Just remove all the flowered wood back to fresh new shoots.  The oldest branches, maybe a couple, remove to the base.  Then you get flowers way above the,foliage next year.  

24/08/2013 at 09:46

Thanks both, I will cut down the old branches now, and see what happens with the few new branches next year, then prune them after (hopefully) they flower.  

email image
4 messages