London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 40 of 48 messages
KEF
31/10/2013 at 07:43

It's a bit thick but I use a black marker pen that was designed to cover scratches on boots / shoes, it doesn't fade or wash off.

31/10/2013 at 08:04

I have good intentions but, like many of us here, I don't do it and forget what I've planted. Been much better this year but I lost the pen I had during a move and the one I have just now fades a bit. I intend doing a planting plan of the garden over the winter as everything in it has been planted by me apart from one or two items which will make it relatively simple.

31/10/2013 at 08:10

Fairy, a planting plan of the garden is good idea.  I used to do just that so that I knew everything I planted and where, including bulbs.  However it takes discipline to  maintain that standard ESP if borders are changed 

31/10/2013 at 08:17

lol it's always great to label things, but sometimes it's impossible for me. I buy plants from places like car boot sales and think ooooooo thats pretty - I'll 'ave that! Soooooooooo then the end of the year rolls round, I dig up said plant, get my label and trusty marker pen out, and write........ oh heck, I don't actually know what this plant is!! So, I try and be descriptive. I write "daisy-thing" and "white flowers" on the label, and wander off, tutting to myself.

31/10/2013 at 08:31

Sounds bit like mr Bean Emma...

31/10/2013 at 08:36

If I buy slate label will they be better than the white plastic with a sharpie 

slate labels what would you use to write on them 

KEF
31/10/2013 at 08:37

Emma

I sometimes abbreviate on labels and later wonder what I meant.

31/10/2013 at 08:39

I have become quite parsimonious - I now cut up old margarine tubs for labels. I even colour coded my tomatoes this year because I knew the pencil would fade! However, it does make the gaden look as if it has a rash at times!

KEF
31/10/2013 at 08:41

Outdoor girl, that made me laugh.

31/10/2013 at 08:49

lol we're a strange lot aren't we 

31/10/2013 at 10:28

I wrote out some labels and covered them with clear nail varnish to seal them. Well it doesn't work, when I went back all the writing had run. Back to the drawing board then

31/10/2013 at 11:13

I had KEF's problem. Pots of RBHs, WGDs and BlYs

I never label in the garden though. I have a list to refer to.

31/10/2013 at 11:48

Its great to see that it isnt just me. I thought I was just lazy but it appears most of us have the same problems. I have just tied plastic labels to the remaining short stubs of dahlias which should help next year.

I also use abbreviations which is usually hopeless as is labelling just 1 of 5 babies which start in 1 row in greenhouse but end up all over the place.

31/10/2013 at 12:11

Coloured labels are useful when growing a lot of plants of the same variety. Have a note book, write in blue labels = tomato 'gardeners delight', then stick blue labels into the correct pots or put all the pots into the same tray and just label one pot in that tray. Then don't lose the book! You'll need a range of label colours

31/10/2013 at 12:21

I had a beautiful row of Irises pop up this year, and could I remember planting them?!!! A lovely surprise, but seriously worried about my tiny brain cells!!! So yes, I'm labelling now!!!

31/10/2013 at 15:24

i found two pots this afternoon both covered with moss emptied one out and it was full of tiny bulbs all sprouting, back in pot new compost into greenhouse no idea what they are 

31/10/2013 at 17:35

a garden planer would be to organized wouldn't it??

James

31/10/2013 at 18:20

The beauty of a garden plan indoors is that you can work on it during the winter months....tinker, experiment, etc work,out plant associations all from the comfort of your armchair 

31/10/2013 at 19:03
Verdun wrote (see)

The beauty of a garden plan indoors is that you can work on it during the winter months....tinker, experiment, etc work,out plant associations all from the comfort of your armchair 

Then do something completely different when you get out there

31/10/2013 at 19:20

Yes...........I know nut but actually it's what I do tend to do.  Even after "perfect" planting I will often change my mind.  Decisions, decisions! 

21 to 40 of 48 messages