London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
23/08/2013 at 11:04

I have only been gardening for two years.  My garden has a lot of perennials.  Ihave just come back from holiday to a lot of sagging plants.  I have tried giving them lots of water but they dont seem to be recovering.  Is it best to cut them all back in a hope that they will come back next year. Even fuschia are not flowering, hydrangias have just a few leaves. The only thing doing well is the roses.

23/08/2013 at 11:58

I would keep up the watering but not cut anything back til autumn unless it is showing signs of mould.  You might find things resprout from seemingly dead stems.  It also might take them some time to rejuvenate, so don't give up hope yet.  Can you befriend a neighbour for watering duty before your next holiday ??

23/08/2013 at 16:40

I'd be inclined to cut things back if they are obviously 'past it'. They may well restart again, ok only to die back as per normal when the autumn comes, but at least you will have removed the risk of infection etc from rotting material.

Next spring you may find that some of the plants dont regrow, as they were relatively newly planted. It's sad, but gives you a fresh chance to replant with new ones. Try & stick to 'right plant, right place', use small ones as they establish better & cost less too.

Next year, when the soil is moist after the winter rains, apply a good layer of mulch around your flower beds & the plants should then cope better with a prolonged dry spell in the following summer. J.

27/08/2013 at 08:16

Thank you very much for replying.  I havent mulched at all and this is something i will deffinately look at doing next year.  Terrential rain on Saturday has also helped. 

email image
4 messages