Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

ladybirds mating?

fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

This morning on an apple leaf. The rear one is black with two red patches, the underneath one is red with lots of black spots. Are these the same species. ???

Judging from the jiggy jggy that was going on I guess these were mating.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've seen several unmatched pairs in connubial bliss on my roses lately - I hope they know what they're doing ............. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Fidget, I found this http://everything-ladybug.com/ladybug-spots.html it seems that there are all sorts of variants within species - our ladybirds knew what they were doing image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

This was one I took on 29th April.....they started early up here image

According to Springwatch ladybird  nookie takes up to 8 hours image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Blimey.

Old age is when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I'm coming back as a ladybird image image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Heehee! We saw some doing the 'tango' in botanical gardens other day, my little girl said ' look Mummy that owns having a ride on the other one's back!' They looked 2 different types too,hope they waft their babies across the road to us, only seen a few here, have loads of bees , not enough ladybirds

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

It must be the weather. I found another  pair "at it"

It's what they do.  The birds, the bees and the ladybirds.  Except of course, come to think of it, most bees don't.  Go figure (as some might say).