London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
12 messages
14/09/2013 at 09:48

My daughter is getting married on May 24th, it will be a country style wedding , very informal. I want to grow flowers for the tables. Some displayed in milk bottles. I am thinking late tulips, possibly Rannunculas brought on in pots in the greenhouse and maybe some hyacinths started late in glass jars. Colours will probably be white, blue, pale yellow. My garden is in a sheltered spot in North East Wales. Any tips, ideas, warnings, backup plans gratefully received. Best place to buy bulbs anybody?

Thanks

14/09/2013 at 10:01

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this is a nice request good luke with the wedding 

James

14/09/2013 at 10:01

Just a quick thought as I'm on the way out - think there should be some wild Cow Parsley flowering around then - that will help bulk out the flowers and give a light and airy country look  

14/09/2013 at 10:21

Thanks for good luck wishes James, I'll need it!

Cow parsley sounds a brilliant idea thank you.

14/09/2013 at 10:29

Mr S I can't pm you I don't know why 

James

14/09/2013 at 10:31

Don't you just love weddings  

I did something similiar for a friends wedding using glass tumblers rather than milk bottles. Put a little bit of blue food colouring in the water which worked quite well.

What flowers is soooo hard tho. especially with the weather we have had in the last two years. Who knows what we will get! 

Cornflowers should be a pretty safe bet for the blue and would look so pretty with the cow parsley Dove mentioned. Those with some tulips would be perfect. You could grow yellow, white and Green Star tulips for variation in the bottles. This is Green Star...

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/csp/parkers/products/medium/1007040.jpg

From J Parker bulbs

14/09/2013 at 10:47

They are fantastic addict I think I'm going to have to buy ANOTHER pot or two just so I can buy some of those green stars STOP STOP STOP showing me fantastic flowers 

costing me a small fortune

James

14/09/2013 at 11:00

LOL James. I do love things that are a little unusual. Can't promise not to show more I am an addict you know 

14/09/2013 at 14:46

Lily of the valley should be in flower then. If you get pips planted in pots now, then you can take them in  greenhouse to speed up, or keep in shade to slow down.

Parkers online have a giant lily of the valley .

14/09/2013 at 15:10

Ooooh

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/images/smilies/spvalentines/heart_smiley.gif

didn't think of those FB. Would be wonderful to add their delicious scent to the bottle.

15/09/2013 at 18:13

Hi thanks, some great ideas. I'll look into lily of the valley. I think my friend has loads in her garden. What about bluebells are these out end of May? I have lots in my garden.

17/09/2013 at 21:12

I should think so. Even if we have a hot Spring again there should still be some around. They usually flower April/May.  

email image
12 messages