5 messages
29/01/2014 at 18:06

Hi

I am planting a laurel hedge & have just received 100 bare rooted ones,,,, the trouble is I have clay soil. So my understanding is that the roots could get water logged if planted now & to plant them in bunches in a temporary site (less boggy).

Any thoughts & if the above is the way forward when is the latest they could be left before going to their permenant site? 

29/01/2014 at 18:42

If you've got them planted in soil they'll be OK for weeks. No problems til they start growing and need more space. Make sure they are all planted with some soil round them, none left in a space to dry out (unlikely this year so far)

29/01/2014 at 20:08

Sort out the drainage or soil-conditioning before you finally plant them.  Nothing like to stand in water-logged soil.

30/01/2014 at 10:53
Hi Ian, good luck with the laurel,weve got it all around our garden up to 10/12 feet on one side,its a very neighbourly hedge all our neighbours have it and looks so good all year round, and cuttings so easy and cheap to do,i,ll be giving loads away this year coming , and they make a very good garden screen if required,our compost corner is going to be surrounded by it soon, good luck .
04/02/2014 at 17:25

Thanx for the info guys they are in a temporary site for now, noooooo chance them drying out but at least the soil is not boggy.

Got my work cut on this garden I bought some land from the church behind me which is a elevated a rough bit of hillock ,,,spent all last year levelling & terracing with sleepers,,,it certainly a challenge,,,never digged in a garden with so many stones on top of that we are in the hills above Brecon so our spring does not start until a month after the low lands,,,,& I wanna grow fruit & veg LOL

email image
5 messages