London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
17 messages
14/08/2014 at 17:43

Hi can anyone help I sent for the offer on here of 48 lavender plants for the cost of postage, when they came about 6 weeks ago they were very small plugs repotted them into small pot & placed them in my utility room, they have grown into nice small plants ( I did loose a few ) I need to no if I put the out into the flower beds or do I have to wait till next year 

14/08/2014 at 17:47

I'd protect them this winter. If we get another wet one like last year they won't like that.

A cold frame or cold GH is where I'd put them. Not yet but early enough that they're not already saturated when they go in.

14/08/2014 at 18:08

Thanks nutcutlet I take it I should keep watering them a little between now & when they are ready to go out next year. 

14/08/2014 at 18:30

I'd keep them on the dry side during the winter - they can cope with cold, what they don't like is cold and wet.  

15/08/2014 at 14:40
Ok thanks
15/08/2014 at 18:41

Mine grew pretty quickly - might be worth potting them on before winter sets in.  I agree with the others though - coldframe and quite dry for their first winter then they really romp away

15/08/2014 at 19:07
Ok will do as they are getting big I do keep checking underneath to see if I can see any roots none showing yet & I dint have a cold frame or GH so will have to keep em in spare room they are stood on a large tray for watering so can easily carry them up later on in the year at the moment they are in my utility room soaking up the su ( when its out lol ) thanks for all the info
16/08/2014 at 11:25

Hi LB - not sure a spare room is ideal for lavender - can you find a place outside and rig up some sort of shelter for them ?  Maybe some old bricks and a plank, or under a garden bench ?

16/08/2014 at 11:30

I wouldn't have them in the spare room yet lb, even if you have to resort to that in midwinter. On another thread someone was talking about using a plastic box as a cold frame. I wouldn't leave anything under that in the long term unless it had vents in the side, but it's something you might consider on wet days so they don't get drowned

16/08/2014 at 21:20
Hi I have a large veg planter on legs they could go under there should they be out now & what about my shed in winter?
16/08/2014 at 22:24

I'd keep them out in a normal place til about November, then move them out the worst of the wet then - under the veg planter sounds a good idea. I would not put them in a shed, as they will want some light.

16/08/2014 at 22:31

I got those too little bee and i lost about half, but that was my fault!!  Anyway, apart from being rubbish when they were tiny the ones I have left have grown nicely and I am going to be repotting them in the next week.  My plan is to put them in the greenhouse over winter, if they start to look sad I'll bring them in.  I'm not planting mine out until they fill a 1 litre pot by which time they should be nice and strong and be able to withstand all weathers.

16/08/2014 at 23:56

I know I would lose them trying to mind them.  It is only middle of August.  I think you would be better off putting them in the ground.  My waiting plants in pots have to undergo a sort of Abu Graib torture.  Sitting out til they are gasping for water then dunked in a bucket til they are near drowning, then out til they are.........

17/08/2014 at 08:59
Thanks again I will pot them on stand em outside and in mid winter I will put them in my shed as we took half the side out & fitted a large window
17/08/2014 at 09:40

Perfect LB - your shed will be great if it has lots of light. (mine is black as coal - i just assume everyone elses is the same)

17/08/2014 at 13:27
We have just been given it chicky so modified it trying to make it into a small potting shed for next year
18/08/2014 at 15:43

I need to get rid of the bikes out of our shed then get a window put in! Either that or get a new potting shed especially for me.......I'm working on it 

email image
17 messages