Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lawn damage

Hi, I have crows pecking at my front lawn and pulling the grass up. Can anyone suggest a reason and potential treatment. Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Probably digging for leatherjackets Patrick. They're the larvae of crane flies and it's common at this time of year. You can buy nematodes to apply to the grass, which is an organic way of solving the problem. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thanks Fairygirl. Patrick

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Not crows if there are more than four of them. They are probably rooks!
  • Or if you're urban gardening they might be jackdaws.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I've seen how dreadful a lawn can look with leatherjacket damage, although I've personally not had much trouble with them.  I've also seen them bounce back well with a good raking, some weed and feed and a bit of rain, but at this time of year that may not be feasible.I think it comes down to how good you want the grass to look. If you want Wimbledon standard,  you might be more bothered by the damage.

'orses for courses and all that image

Can I have the eclair philippa? image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • mollismollis Posts: 151

I posted back in the spring about the larvae coming up onto the patio in the very wet spring... I think it was Verdun who responded suggesting the nematodes. The grass was bare and wet where they had been....Being me I never got round to getting the nematodes and I have to say the grass has grown back completely. I just gave it a couple of liquid feeds back in the spring, early summer. So whilst I am sure the nematodes will eradicate the problem and I don't know what is in store this winter/spring, the grass can recover...I say grass as I could never call mine a lawn! imagei