Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lawn Mower for Rough Grass

Can you please offer any advice with regard to lawn mowers for rough grass on uneven bumpy ground - a small to medium sized churchyard to be precise. I am currently cutting the grass with a petrol strimmer but it takes several hours. Is there a lawn mower that would be suitable that isn't too expensive. An ordinary lawn mower is simply not able to cope with the uneven ground or the grass being a bit longer than it would be in an ordinary garden.

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Hi scott

There is plenty of lawnmowers what will cut any type of grass but at a price. A lot of professional machinery is very expensive, a brand new 20 - 21inch mow can set you back £1000 easy, even 18inch mowers are not much cheaper.

Depending on how uneven the ground is you might not have much choice but to use a strimmer. Even the large machine bottom out even more than the little cheap one from B&Q etc. 

Have a look on ebay, most pro mowers have 5.5hp + engine. you be surprised how much grass it can cut down, keep any eye out for known brands for a decent mow. 

If you mange to get on top of the job you could try a cheap mow from B&Q etc throw away mows in my opinion, got to be careful in grave yards. If you hit a stone especially with a cheap mow its like to put it through the deck or bend the crank.

Probably be easier to get a larger strimmer like a Husqvarna  or stihl - johnsered , any 3 of these machine brands will destroy any type of grass. 

My dad got a fleet of garden machinery he most have at least 20 mowers 

if you give me an idea of your budget i might be easier to recommended you something

• AWBAWB Posts: 421

I have a Billy Goat brushcutter, it would be ideal as it also cuts through brambles with ease. Not cheap but lasts well, mine is 8 years old and has tamed a large overgrown field.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

At my mum's church they don't cut they grass, they grow wildflowers instead.

Would a hover mower work?

• I normally cut the grass immediately around the church on a fortnightly basis and leave the grass in the rest of the churchyard to grow longer with a couple of paths mown so that families can still get to the graves. I do however cut the whole of the churchyard a few times a year hence the grass being longer. Whilst we get some wild flowers growing its mainly an ugly mass of weeds and in my personal opinion an eye soar rather than a romantic wildflower meadow. It amazing how many people have commented positively on the fact that the churchyard looks cared for. I would love a Billy Goat brushcutter but they are so expensive! Is there anything cheaper that is still good quality?   

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It might be an idea to check out some local Auctioneers' deadstock sales - you'd be surprised what you can pick up in the way of gardening equipment for very little expense - and a petrol motor mower can usually be got into reasonable shape for that sort of work by someone with a knack for that sort of thing. 

We had a rough area that needed to be mown a few times a year and that's how we got our mower.

Good luck image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.