London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 30 messages
15/08/2014 at 08:10

Hi all, just recently I have noticed lawn weed growing across my lawn, how do I kill it without killing my nice lawn ? 

15/08/2014 at 08:19

any particular lawn weed flumpy?

15/08/2014 at 08:22

I will try and take a photo, but it seems to be growing along the top of the lawn, like strawberry shoots, does that help ?

15/08/2014 at 08:24

creeping buttercup?

15/08/2014 at 08:35

I will try and take a photo Nutcutlet, I have no idea, keep you posted 

15/08/2014 at 15:22

Yes it's buttercup weed, how do I get rid of it, I have been trying to pull it up where ever I find it 

17/08/2014 at 12:10

You need to kill the roots flumpy or it will just keep coming back . You can use a lawn 'spot' weedkiller and apply it carefully - there are quite a few on the market I think, or if you have large areas of them it might be worth using a weed and feed on the grass which will kill them off and feed the grass at the same time. All GCs and diy stores stock these products and sometimes the own brand weed n feed products are as successful as the big brands in my experience. 

25/08/2014 at 20:18

Thanks fairy girl I will purchase some tomorrow 

25/08/2014 at 22:15

It's been a shocker of a year for weeds in the grass for me. Do weeds die over winter, or do they just have a nice nap under ground and come back stronger each year?

25/08/2014 at 22:47
Are you sure it isn't trefoil?
Lyn
25/08/2014 at 23:06

They will come back next year Tootles, completely refreshed and raring to go,

26/08/2014 at 06:36

Humph! Our lawn is covered this year. Thing is, when I pull them up I rarely seem to get the end of the root. It always seems to snap about half way down. Is it essential to get the whole root out?

26/08/2014 at 07:55

Tootles - creeping buttercups are like dandelions - if you don't get the roots out they'll come back. They're perennial - more perennial than some perennials!  

My front grass here was mainly buttercups, daisies and dandies with moss thrown in for good measure. A year or so on, and it's had a couple of applications of weed and feed, with an extra feed or two thrown in, it's now mostly grass and looking pretty good. You just have to keep on top of it if you want a reasonable looking lawn. Easy enough if it's a small area. Not so easy if it's large though, or next to fields, where you get the 'field' creeping back in .  

28/08/2014 at 22:31

Thanks everyone, I will get some feed and weed and keep you all posted 

Lyn
29/08/2014 at 00:18

Westland feed weed and moss killer is the one we use and ours is looking good considering we have fields on all 4 sides that are organic, so a 20 ft break of weeds. At the moment they are full of fluffy seed heads, one way or another we will cop them.

If you have lots of moss it will go black and look awful for a while but as the feed takes hold the grass will take over. 

I am not sure if it may be better to wait till spring, you dont really want the grass to grow too much now as you will be cutting through the winter.

29/08/2014 at 08:03

Hi it may be trefoil as Mike suggests. I had an infestation a year or 2 ago after weeding and feeding my lawn. It colonises the gaps left by the death of the other weeds.  I rang the manufacturer who explained it to me.Therefore standard weed and feed will not work on it... try Verdone instead.

29/08/2014 at 09:59

Does it grow the same way as buttercup Woody? Flumpy described runners like strawberries. I've never had trefoil in any garden so I'm not familiar with it's habit. Interesting to hear that it works like that though. Just when you think you've cracked it eh?..

Do you think 'Verdun' will be happy to come and weed the garden though....

29/08/2014 at 17:45

It looks like a very small strawberry plant, with yellow flowers. There could be runners but it is a year or so since I saw it. Verdone worked on mine.

I think Verd. should help, as it's clearly named after him. Perhaps he gets a rake-off?

29/08/2014 at 17:49

That's bad Woody...worthy of his Verdun-ness 

I've probably seen trefoil but certainly not in any of my gardens, although I thought the flowers were more pea like. Perhaps it doesn't like the conditions here 

29/08/2014 at 18:14

If it ever stops raining I will try and find a piece and take a photo, I got rid of the moss in spring and the lawn looked lovely a month later, I do keep seeing the odd yellow flower popping up, is this part of the weed ?

1 to 20 of 30 messages