London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
6 messages
04/09/2013 at 19:58

HELP! I've just had a new lawn laid by a bonafide garden company and I'm more than worried about the job. The old scabby lawn was rotovated straight into the ground then whackered and raked so some small clods appeared on the surface. New turf was laid on top and inspite of my complaints I've been told that the ground will even itself out!!! Does anyone believe this is true? Am I being too critical? I've never seen a lawn done like this on TV!!! 

04/09/2013 at 20:05

No it won't even itself out.

04/09/2013 at 20:09

Does the company belong to a trade association?

04/09/2013 at 22:31

A whacker plate shouldn't have been used either 

http://www.lawnsmith.co.uk/lawn-care-advice/lawn-faqs/installing-new-lawns/#10

04/09/2013 at 23:09

I'm no expert but would have thought the old lawn should have been taken up. rather than rotovated into the ground.

The problem with getting someone into to lay a lawn if you know little about lawn laying or don't have anyone to advise you and I don't mean this in a disrepectful way, unless you get a number of quotes and ask questions then you take your chances.

My lawn was laid a few years ago but the old one was uneven and riddled with dandilions and even friends with no gardening knowledge pointed out that the old needed to be taken up other wise the dandilions would grow through.  

I rang a few different places to lay turf after the ground had been prepared and only one would come and put turf down on ground they had not prepared or seen before but said they needed to see the soil before laying and would say no if they didn't like the prep.

The guy's who laid it told me dandilions were likely to grow back and in one area the grass would not grow very well but provided good advise as to what to do.

Name and shame the company...

06/09/2013 at 20:06
Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Sorry you have had this experience.  The company should have used a total weed killer on the existing vegetation, and then removed the top layer.  The remaining surface should have then been rotavated and the whole site levelled.  The surface should then have been consolidated by heal and toeing the area then lightly raked for the finish levels.  A pre seed / turf fertiliser application should then be applied before finally laying the turf,  I would be interested in how much they charged you per M2, we charge from £5 m2 on a level area ready to turf to £9 m2 dependent on how much work is required.  If i can be of any more help in terms of advice, please feel free to mail me on info@lawnsure.co.uk

Regards

Ross

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}
email image
6 messages