Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

lawns

Help I think I have got chafer grubs under my lawn and most nights a badger digs holes in the lawn to get to them. My lawn now looks like a bomb site, any surgestions please.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd believe that pansyface. I've never seen so many crane flies as I did last year and I've dug up lots of leatherjackets while  I've been making new beds where it was previously grass. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

You could try scattering  raw peanuts somewhere where they won't cause damage, such as a paved area.

• Hi panseyface Last year I had moles in the lawn ,I don't know which is worse moles or badgers.

• johnt313johnt313 Posts: 2

Hi

Hope this helps we had a new lawn laid 2 weeks ago and the next day horror as half of it had been ploughed up,Badgers had been in.Anyway what I did was plug the hole where they came in and re-laid the lawn.I rigged up a bright outside light and turned this on all night at dusk for the last 2 weeks and turned the radio on in the garage with the window open onto the garden.There has been no re-entry since then and we turned both light and radio off for the first time last night fingers crossed 

• johnt313johnt313 Posts: 2

My neighbours do love me actually! I placed the light at lawn level and the radio wasn't blarring just audible enough to make a sound.

• Thanks for all the comments I am awaiting the arrival of some nematodes fingers crossed this will work.

• Stacey DochertyStacey Docherty Posts: 1,759

Chrissy badgers do love love love peanuts and peanut butter sarnis!!!! When we had a huge problem similar to you and found a few sandwiches left for them halted the problem....

• Hi Stacey What happened when you stopped feeding them the peanut butter, did they bring in their friends as well?