Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

lawns

LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
I get very angry at people digging up their front lawn to park a car on it,there's 3 been done this year. No wonder the wildlife are suffering, people have a garden so they can grow things to eat or just for show. Newly built houses don't have a lot of garden so they should be grateful for what they haveimage

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Doesn't every garden that is tarmaced over add to the problem of run off that can lead to flooding downstream?  I think that the the present Council tax system should be revised to reflect not simply the financial value of the property but also the environmental impact with the tax reflecting mainly issues such as energy saving factors but also include charging more for properties that generate run off.

• I prefer to garden with wildlife in mind but I accept I can't inflict my ways onto my friends, family and neighboursimage

I like to park on my own property and possibly it lowers my premiums. The trouble with cars parking on the road is it can obstruct large vehicles including the emergency services and the possible dangers to children who may not be seen.

Wearside, England.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    It's not just for cars, people just don't want to look after them and I don't mean old people, young people just can't be bothered even when they know what it's like when they bought the houseimage
  • Yes, that's true Loganimage

I think people like the idea of the space but not the maintenance. I don't see my garden-meddling as work luckilyimage 

Wearside, England.
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Thanks for all the repliesimage
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Paving laid these days is supposed to be permeable so runoff will be reduced, although not altogether eliminated.  I agree with Phillipa that it would be a slippery slope if there were add-ons to Council Tax for x, y or z.  How about extra for those with too many kids?  They create extra rubbish, extra strain on local resources, extra pollution getting them to school.....

The recently suggested change to the law to prevent vehicles being parked partly on pavements will only make the problems with parking, and therefore the need to park on house frontages worse.  I'm not saying parking on pavements can't cause problems, but in the area I live, many footpaths are 8' and more wide.  A car using 3' of that doesn't obstruct pedestrian progress and does leave more road accessible to moving traffic.