London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
11/08/2013 at 11:16

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

I’ve got leaches in my garden pond. Are they harmful to frogs and newts? How would I go about cleaning out the pond without losing my blood supply?

11/08/2013 at 11:31

Don't worry Unity, they aren't medicinal leeches, I'm pretty sure, so they aren't after you. They have been in our pond for years and I've never seen them attached to any of the fish or the frogs or newts. It's a bit of a mystery to me what they do live on,  but they certainly thrive.

They seem to just be part of the little eco system in there and I just let them get on with it.

11/08/2013 at 12:50

As wb says, all part of the eco system. Amphibians and leeeches and all the rest have lived in the same ponds for a long time now

12/08/2013 at 09:41

Yep I agree!! They pretty much attach themselves to anything like pots, stones, weed, algae but I've never seen them on fish, frogs or terrapins!   I'd say they are goodies :0) 

12/08/2013 at 12:48

Thanks to you all for your useful, reassuring replies.

email image
5 messages