Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Legal height of a beech hedge?

Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

I wonder of anyone know the height a beech hedge should be

my neighbour and I have agreed to cut the hedge, my side. Nine if the previous owner ever accommodated her so we have quite a job in our hands but she says it has to be 2 mtrs.  Is she correct? Feels a bit on the low side to me and as is our orchard I need the protection image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
A A Milne

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Hi Lily P see if this article helps.

Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003

Not all trees improve people's quality of life. The problems that can be caused by high garden hedges - especially leylandii - have received a lot of publicity, and since 2005 there's been a law all about it. This page is about the legislation in England which came into force on 1 June 2005. 

Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 created new procedures to enable local authorities in England and Wales to deal with complaints about high hedges. It is clearly better if disputes can be settled between the parties concerned, but where negotiation fails, a complaint can be made to the local authority who can assess the case, acting as an independent and impartial third party. If they think it is justified the authority can order the owner to reduce the height of their hedge. But there is no general requirement that all hedges should be kept below a certain height. In particular it is not illegal to plant leylandii, and it is not illegal to have a hedge more than 2m high. Both of these are myths which are often repeated, but are incorrect.

The bad news for complainants is that the Council will charge a fee for this service, and you have to pay a fee just to make a complaint. Sounds unfair? Maybe, but that's the way it works. Fees are set locally and vary from about £100 to more than £600. Some give discounts, some don't. So far, there's no sign of any way to claim the fee back from the hedge-owner either.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

The legislation only applies to evergreen hedges so a beech hedge can be any height the owner wants it to be.  I suffer from an over tall hawthorn hegde so have looked in to it.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845

Wow guys thanks a lot. Knew I would get an answer from the experts! I forgot to say I am north of the border but will assume its the same rule.?

A A Milne
  • hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I don't think we have the same north of the border. Best way is just to reach a compromise height with your neighbour, whatever that height may be.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I think hogweed's right - different laws up here. My Dad's beech hedge was well over 2 metres - I know , I used to cut it for him image 

I'd reckon you could compromise a bit to keep you both happy,  but when beech and hornbeam are over about ten feet they don't keep the foliage so well over winter either so you may want to consider that too. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks, think I may phone the council. All my trees are protected and the hedge was planted as boundary line. between this and trees splitting we are wondering if the property is beating us. It is proving an expensive summer, and we running out of energy!image

A A Milne
  • MuddyFork got it just about right.  Use to work for the council (for my sins) Conifer hedges are the culprits but even they are not restricted in height unless there is a complaint.  That complaint has to be made in writing and the complainant has to prove that they have tried to discuss the matter with the other party on more than one occasion.  If they can the council may take up their case for a pretty substantial fee.  Where I use to work it was around £350.  Organic hedging can be any height so a beech hedge is okay, however wood, walls and anything else that is solid is restricted in height to 2m unless it impedes the visionary display which means it may be even lower if it is at the front of a property.

Early Riser, you are saying what I want to hearimage

Are you north if the border? please say you are it would make my day!

A A Milne
  • Sorry more like middle of the road but I love Beechgrove!

I watched the first episode of Beechgrove a million years ago and have learnt everything from them!

Thanks for your help tho, I might have to move south soon anywayimage

A A Milne