Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lidl fruit tree's....

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Does anyone know the root stock for the apple and pear tree's being sold at Lidl. It wasn't clear on the label and I've e-mailed Lidl but not had a reply.

Has anyone bought their fruit tree's and noticed how tall they grow, I want dwarf or very dwarfing tree's.

The one's in our local Lidl are two tree's grafted onto one root and a really good priceimage.  

• If there are two or more different apples crafted on one stem it is classed as a family tree and is usually on rootstock mm106 this is used because it is a strong growing rootstock.They are done this way so they will cross pollenate each other. Also you can grow more than one variety in a smaller space. On a family tree they sometimes have five or six crafts on one rootstock.   

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Lidl never seem to put essential info on there garden stocks ,why i don't know as iv had really good results with there stuff,at the moment one of there fig trees a friend bought me is just a star, it can be very annoying i agree especially with something like how big a tree is going to be.  

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I received a response from Lidl last week, The apple tree's were on root stock M9 and the pear tree's rootstock was Quitte Adams or Quitte C. I suspect the tree's have been sold by now though.

I've always had good results from seeds and plants from Lidl, so, e-mailed them back words to that effect saying it would be helpful if the root stock was on the label as some growers may be limited as to what size tree's they can grow.

Got a nice e-mail back thanking me for being patient whilst they looked into the initial enquiry and saying they will contact me again once they receive a response from the department my labeling enquiry was sent too.image