London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
6 messages
06/02/2014 at 23:15

anyone ever grown Picasso lily as over 6ft am wondering if stacking is needed etc...plus what recommended feed etc.. thanks 

07/02/2014 at 09:48

Never grown it, but i stake Oriental lillies , so it will need staking. Lillies are bulbs so they need feeding after flowering to help build up the bulb for the following year. Ideally use a high potash feed.

07/02/2014 at 12:14

I grow some of the tall lilies, some of them do not need staking as the stems are very broad, but others do.  I cannot remember the names of the ones we have, the blackbirds have stone the labels long since!  

I feed ours in the Spring with pelleted organic chicken manure (as given to everything in the garden), and then again with a high potash feed once the flowers are done.  Nearly all my lilies are grown in pots.

Don't forget to watch out for the red devil, otherwise known as lily beetle, they are not fussy as to whether the lilies are 20 cms or 2 meters tall, they'll have the lot given half a chance. 

08/02/2014 at 09:46

A little tip on dealing with lily beetle. Their natural defence mechanism is to drop to the ground and expose their black underside as it's harder to see on the ground. Exploit this by holding one  hand cupped underneath as you go to grab the blighters with the other and they normally drop right into your hand.

08/02/2014 at 09:54

It also depends what other planting you have nearby. Staking might not be necessary if there are other plants to give some support, but if you're worried about it, or you have a windy,exposed site, put some in. It would be a shame to lose them jean.

08/02/2014 at 15:49

Hostafan, I have found the best thing to use for lily beetle catching  - as indeed they disappear well when they tumble upside down, as their defence mechanism says they must - is to carry an old tea strainer in your pocket at lily beetle time.  You can thus gently knock them off the plant, into the strainer and take to the hard standing upon which you wish to execute your dance of joy at having got rid of another of the infernal pests

email image
6 messages