4 messages
05/07/2014 at 10:37

Hi all, I've got 2 questions about outdoor Lilys I hope you clever lot can help me with.

1 What do I do when they have finished flowering? 

2 Can they be left in the ground to flower again next year?

Any help in idiot language for this novice gardener will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

05/07/2014 at 10:46

Pauline..........1.  Cut the flower stems down and give the bulbs a general feed.           2. Yes.

05/07/2014 at 11:03

Do I cut them right down to the bottom?

05/07/2014 at 21:19
There. I nearly escaped posting any answers this evening.
1. You have the choice either to let the seedheads form, thus providing you with seed for the future. Lilies propagate easily from seed, although three -four years before flowering. If seed is not required. Remove the seed head down to the top pair of leaves.
2. Cutting stems down. Your choice. Some species, toward the end of flowering will actually produce tiny bulbils in the leaf axils. Thes if left will often reach the size of ones thumbnail. When ripe, remove these and sow in pots.
3. Other species will actually produce fresh young bulblets fom the original bulb.
4. Returning to the bulbil stage. Stems can be cut down and layed in a shallow trench and lightly covered with soil/compost. The bulbils will continue to expand and will in time send up shoots through the soil/compost. These can be overwintered and come next year, they will have grown into healthy young plants.
5. I do not favour with any plant, the practice of cutting it down and then dumping loads of various feeds on the remaining rootstock, bulb, tuber of corm. To me. Unless a plant has been allowed to die down naturally. It is like like murdering a subject then attempting some magical act at bringing it back to life.
email image
4 messages