London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
8 messages
03/07/2014 at 23:08

Hi All,

We have drilled our own well and the water is very high in Lime, is this good or bad for plants? What about the Camellias? I think I will have to start collecting rainwater, but we have a very large garden and use the hose a lot.

any ideas would be really appreciated.

03/07/2014 at 23:11

I  think rain water would be better.

03/07/2014 at 23:14
I'm fascinated. Which part of the country do you live in?
03/07/2014 at 23:40

Hi Pansyface,

We are over here in Dublin, and moved from the city to the country 2 years ago. Our site is about one third of an acre, so we just started the garden in Spring. It is coming on pretty well, but we were using mains water up to yesterday. The gov. are bringing in water charges, and as we use a lot for the garden (have kids who spend hours in the shower as well) thought the best thing was to sink a well. Himself keeps saying "you'll have all the water you want now" but I wonder would too much lime do strange  things to veg.

03/07/2014 at 23:49

Lime is ok on most veg. Brassicas thrive on it. Camellias and rhododendrons hate it.

03/07/2014 at 23:57
Carrots, beets, asparagus, plums, cherries all like lime too.

If you find that the lime gets too much you can acidify it a bit by adding sulphur, but it shouldn't be necessary for a long time.
04/07/2014 at 06:07

We live in East Anglia - there's a layer of chalk close to the surface here and the area is famous for it's chalk mines.  All our water is very 'hard' - you'll get limescale in your kettle and on your taps, but it won't harm your plants other than the acid-loving ones such as rhododendrons, camellias etc

04/07/2014 at 07:08

I grow my camellias in pots and if you want flowers, (why else would you grow them?) you must give them plenty of water regularly, especially in late summer, early autumn, when flower buds are formed. I find you can use tap water from time to time, say one water in 3 or 4. Tap water is better than no water. I have hard water. You can redress the balance with iron sequestrene which will ensure the plants don't get chlorotic i.e. their pipes get furred up and the leaves yellow and fall off. The plants will tell you if they are happy with your water regime.

email image
8 messages