Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

little know facts

I thought I would start this tread after reading this on the internet after looking for a photo for my blog.

Did you know that soil has a neuro-chemical effect on the brain similar to Prozac? I certainly didn’t. Apparently, soil contains a bacteria that activates brain cells into producing the brain chemical serotonin, a mood booster also stimulated by antidepressants. If you were thinking about breaking into gardening and/or food growing this summer, consider this some extra motivation.

so my challange is for folks here to add little know facts

James

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Do we have to eat the soil James? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I'm not sure Nut I will have to revisit the web page again image

Yes please James, it's not that I mind eating soil but I like to get it right

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Much as I would like to believe this and without doubt gardening has been a major contributor to my improving mental health, I do think you have to be very careful about what you believe from the internet. Whilst being a wonderful source of knowledge and fun, it is also populated by the weird, wacky and a source of downright dangerous information.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • But what about all those little invertebrates Nut?   You couldn't eat those!!!  

(I could image)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

It's the taste and texture of meat I don't like Dove. There's no religion or animal sympathy involved. Worms might be a bit meaty, leatherjackets too. Small insects might be Ok if nicely served image

• Too right, punkdoc.  I always laugh when I see some conspiracy theorist write "do some of your own research" and then proceeds to list dozens of conspiracy theorist sites, none of which usually has any scientific evidence whatsoever.  Mind you, our governments (of whatever flavour) don't help - if they commission research and don't like the results, they sack the head scientist instead of examining their own political dogma!   Whoops - rant over!image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • As a child I was really interested in the lives of indigenous Australians, and always believed that if I was in the bush I'd know how to find and eat a Witchety Grub - now I watch I'm a Celebrity and see people make such a fuss - I'd be absolutely fine about it ......... of course I would image

Apparently insects are very good deep fried image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• As a child my wife used to eat "dirt" until one day her brother, who collected worms, pulled a big juicy specimin from the handful of soil she was about to devour!

• Here's a LKF for CluelessG and others:

The original Granny Smith apple tree grew from a pip which had sprouted on a manure heap belonging to an Australian grandmother called Smith.

[Source: "Secreta and Tips from Yesterday's Gardeners" Reader's Digest ISBN 0-276-42844-7]