London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
22/07/2014 at 21:08

What a lot of sentimental emotion from  Alan Titchmarsh again.

Lovely programme.  Done superbly. Pure escapism .  tonight's programme was highly enjoyable

Well done Alan 

22/07/2014 at 21:17

Enjoying one from a few weeks ago on catchup as I type.

22/07/2014 at 21:21

...and in the break I looked up a grass I liked, Mexican grass - just happens to be stipa tenuissima which I'm waiting patiently for it to show it's glory!

22/07/2014 at 21:26

You will love it MrsG ......and watch out for seedlings to pot up and plant out next spring.  Best In groups 

22/07/2014 at 21:34

22/07/2014 at 22:02

Yes it made me cry tonight, such a loving family, they did a really good job of the garden 

22/07/2014 at 22:02
Only caught the last bit, very good as always
22/07/2014 at 22:59

I've not watched it yet but have sky'd it so will catch up at some point, I thint it's a great programme even if I can't afford most of what they do, but it does normally make me fill up a bit 

23/07/2014 at 13:11

Sorry but not for me. I like the gardening side of it but not the 'human interest' bit. Perhaps I am too private a person but I don't like to see people's troubles spattered all over the screen.

23/07/2014 at 22:05

I didn't cry till Alan welled up! Then I was off!

loved the garden though and will watch again on replay as missed a lot of it 

23/07/2014 at 22:38

I agree with hogweed. Too much emotion, nice garden, would have liked to see more of the plants in the devon seaside garden.

24/07/2014 at 06:47

I agree with Hogweed and Fidget. 

24/07/2014 at 06:54

I think they've had a good cry in every programme this series. I know they're sorting out a garden for people with major problems,but I think a quick gloss over would suffice....and then get on with the garden.

It seems that everything has to have the sob story these days, in reality tv programmes.

24/07/2014 at 08:15

Ooooooooo, some hard hearts there!

Its meant to be emotional.  It doesn't mean the viewers have to sob their eyes out.  

For me,  a deserving family  gets something done for them that maybe is over the top a little but gives so much pleasure to them.  

It's not a garden programme really but when was the last time GW inspired anything?  

24/07/2014 at 08:19

LYG has inspired me to do some grass pots around my patio area (programme a couple of weeks ago), I can't afford to do a lot of what they do or have such established plants, as is probably the case for a lot of normal people, but some of the ideas can be adapted.  

I'll hold my hand up to having a bit of a cry, I know we don't have to Verdun but I'm a softie 

24/07/2014 at 08:25

You're a girlie Orchid....you're allowed to cry 

24/07/2014 at 08:33
Verdun wrote (see)

Ooooooooo, some hard hearts there!

Its meant to be emotional.  It doesn't mean the viewers have to sob their eyes out.  

For me,  a deserving family  gets something done for them that maybe is over the top a little but gives so much pleasure to them.  

It's not a garden programme really but when was the last time GW inspired anything?  

Not hard hearted at all Verdun - very soft hearted indeed - but I do feel uncomfortable at what feels (to me) like the mawkish exploitation of others' misfortune for commercial gain.  I'm not saying that these people shouldn't have lovely gardens made for them - I just feel it's wrong that only those that are 'suitable for television' will ever get what they truly need.  

I've seen so many instances of families who have a real need for an accessible garden which would really contribute to the well-being of a disabled or ill family member, as well as for their family carers - however, they wouldn't make a good television story so there's no chance .... 

24/07/2014 at 08:50

Occasionally we need to look at something without adding other issues to it.

Of course, there is exploitation (everywhere) but love your garden simply does something womderful for somebody and this is the way to regard it.  

Reality soon hits hard when the news or other programmes are broadcast........people killed, abused and all kinds of hypocrisy amd horrors .......and that's just Eastenders! 

24/07/2014 at 08:52

Perhaps, given my (former) line of work, it's just too 'close to home' for me .... ?

24/07/2014 at 09:07

Im with Dove on this one, used to watch but started to get too sentimental, cant watch the DIY stuff thats similar, really dont like programmes or books that make me cry, too much sadness in the world so prefer to watch things that make me laugh or that I know are fictional.  Im not keen on reality TV prefer drama and I never watch or read celebrity stuff basically because Im just not interested in what they do or how they behave. 

1 to 20 of 28 messages