London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
7 messages
12/05/2014 at 11:47

Any views on last week's Malvern 'Living with Parkinsons' garden (featured on GW) 

I found it quite disturbing and was wondering, what the hell has this got to do with this lovely hobby we all enjoy.

For the record I have a family member suffering from this debilitating illness and am totally sympathetic to the cause and all who suffer in a similar way.

Chelsea on the horizon, so stand by for more.  

12/05/2014 at 11:52

I know several people with Parkinson's and think the idea was to show how complicated every day tasks become, whether it came across in a garden I'm not sure. A terrible illness as many of these things are 

12/05/2014 at 12:07

Quite disturbing. Yes David, Parkinson's is quite disturbing. Especially for those who can no longer enjoy this lovely hobby

12/05/2014 at 12:16
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Quite disturbing. Yes David, Parkinson's is quite disturbing. Especially for those who can no longer enjoy this lovely hobby

I know, nut.....I covered that fact in my opening post, but I fail to understand how such 'themed' gardens help the cause.

I suppose at the root of it all I hate these contrived monstrosities.

12/05/2014 at 12:18

It gets people talking about it. Just as we are doing now.

12/05/2014 at 17:59

We saw it at the show.  Without the explanation on GW I wouldn't have understood what it was all about.  Still had plenty of interesting elements to the garden for those not 'In the know'.

As an aside, that was one of the lucky gardens as it seemed to have survived the rain of Thursday and the gales of Saturday.  Some had been severely damaged.  We were talking to the designer of one who said the tall hedge on hers had been dragged back up almost to upright by attaching guy ropes to the back!

It must have been soul destroying after all the work put in.

12/05/2014 at 18:43

I'm not sure how you can design a garden to represent the frustrations of suffering from Parkinsons.

One of my best friends who I have known and worked with for getting on 30 yrs has been diagnosed as having Parkinsons for the past 4 yrs. He takes medication to help slow down and control the worst of the effects but at present there is no cure and he is struggling more as he gets older.

I saw the garden on GW and to be honest I agree with David and I did'nt see how it was relevant in an RHS show. The range of disabling issues caused by Parkinsons is too varied to be described by a garden design.

email image
7 messages