London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
11/04/2013 at 09:12
Many years ago I had a realistic looking mannequin amongst my gooseberry bushes at top garden. I even added my shaved off,beard to his face and an old pair of glasses......such was my attention to him!!!!!! A topic of fun or irritation but couldnt ignore him. Over time "he" died. Ahhhhhhhh! Would love to get another. Asked at local shops, stores etc for them without success. Tried to topiaryise Taxus fastigiata imto a human figure but not,too good. Would love to get hold of a mannequin. Maybe make one myself. Is this gnome-like or "class"? Or am I regressing to my,childhood....childlLIKE ..days??? Where can I get another?
11/04/2013 at 09:15
Oh! I meant to say I wasn't talking about me, of course. I'm asking for someone else. I'm far too serious, me, for such trivial things
11/04/2013 at 09:37

I have one rescued from a skip top half only she now sits just inside the bedroom window wearing nothing but a hat trying to crash tractors.

11/04/2013 at 11:45
That's ade me laugh big time. Brilliant. My imagination boggles.
11/04/2013 at 12:25

I always feel that my garden lacks a feature and some personality, this sounds such a crazy idea but I would love one.

11/04/2013 at 12:37

Good job it was OH driving the other day, we went out to a GC and OH went the 'pretty' way.  We passed a house with one of the old red BT phone boxes in it's front garden, the occupant on the 'phone was a young lady wearing a dress that started late & finished early, fishnets & suspenders, and knee-high boots.  She had long blonde hair and was wearing a hat pushed down low over her eyes.  Yes, the young lady was of the plastic variety.

I let out such a squeal of laughter that the biggest little one wanted to know what was wrong, and I got told off for nearly deafening OH.

It was very funny, though.

Blackest, you may get more success with Tractor Crashing if your young lady wears slightly more than a hat - it's not what men can see, its what they think they can see.

11/04/2013 at 13:33
Cris hills its pure class ha ha
Had chance to have BT phone box as presie once. Would have loved that
Fun in the garden...gotta be good.
11/04/2013 at 16:16

Went to an auction once at a reclamation yard, the chap who owned it had died, and his widow wanted all the stuff gone ASAP, so she could sell the land and spend her retirement somewhere warm (don't blame her, the chap make arkwright look like a big spender).

The phone boxes went for £500 and £800

However, we did get some nice cast iron stair spindles, some glass out of a railway signal (OH promised at the time to make me a signal in the garden - still hasn't materialised), and a really nice carver chair.  This has now become the 'naughty chair', whenever one of them throws a wobbler, that's where they go, it's big enough and robust enough for any amount of kicking and throwing of self backwards.

11/04/2013 at 16:20

There was a male one in a front garden which we drive past on our way out of town, it was naked & had a different pose each time we passed it. Haven't seen it for ages, I had a great urge to give it a wooly hat & scarf in the cold weather!

Thinking about it maybe it wasn't a mannequin but some sort of artist's model as all the joints; fingers, wrists neck etc moved a lot, which a mannequin wouldn't need. Gave us a laugh anyway; not the sort of thing you'd normally expect to find in Inverness!

11/04/2013 at 16:24
Highland Jennie.
I know where you mean cos......
That was me.
11/04/2013 at 16:40

Where can one get something for the garden that is not a humanoid naked effigy?  A sculpure to add interest, know what I mean?

11/04/2013 at 18:12

Well theres a few places make them.

http://www.blarneygardencentre.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/dg005.jpg

http://www.blarneygardencentre.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/st008.jpg

hmm should have some better pics got a pair of full size lions  somewhere.

11/04/2013 at 18:19
Sterelitza, mine would be attired. I bring my mannequins up to be modest.
Just want a realistic looking dummy in the garden...
Apart from me
11/04/2013 at 18:40

The only dummy I have in my garden is me! Lol

11/04/2013 at 20:39
Verdun wrote (see)
Highland Jennie.
I know where you mean cos......
That was me.

11/04/2013 at 21:12

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21942.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21943.jpg?width=500&height=350&mode=max

Should have a lot more shots of different pieces but thats it for now

11/04/2013 at 22:10

Jeannie-don't try and kid us-that's how the locals in Inverness dress anyway...

House near me has a red phone box in the garden and there's one I used to pass walking in top end of the village I used to stay in so they must be easy enough to get hold of!

11/04/2013 at 23:34
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Jeannie-don't try and kid us-that's how the locals in Inverness dress anyway...

Yes, but with half a dozen layers on the rest of the body....

OH says he wants a nymph "surprised whilst bathing" in the garden (he IS joking) I said that she'd be out there for 5 minutes & I'd put a coat over her .  Got to protect her modesty!!

12/04/2013 at 16:39

Jeannie 

12/04/2013 at 18:28
Got the solution to my mannequin dilemma...I'll have myself embalmed.
1 to 20 of 24 messages