London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
21 to 26 of 26 messages
07/07/2012 at 15:44

You are all lucky, as I was allergic to the Avon stuff. That brought me out in a rash before the midges saw me! I was told to take vitamin B1 suppliment for at least 3 months before we went to Scotland on hols. Someone else told me to eat lots of garlic while north of the border. Trouble is it kept the locals away from me as well as the midges!

07/07/2012 at 22:15
Thankfully we do not get midges here. A few mosquitos but nothing too bad. I remember when the kids were younger we went to Scotland camping, it was horrendous. We only stayed a couple of days it was so bad . We packed up and went down to The Lake district to get away from them !
08/07/2012 at 10:42

Well its certainly not midge weather today its only 9c so far and bucketing rain.

21/07/2012 at 21:11

The weather is to improve next week so it will be ideal for the midges lovely damp ground and warmer ...

24/06/2014 at 15:50

Midgies are attracted to mammals (basically ddark colours, sweat and breath).  The average commercial midge eating machine costs around £500.  They use a CO2 canister (to mimic breath), 'sweat pellets' and have a vacuum fan to sook the midgies in.  Some machines have a flashing light to mimic movement.  There is a little known but much cheaper alternative which costs almost nothing.  The only difference being that these do not have a vacuum or a flashing light, but work almost as well (or so I'm told).   Here is a link to 'How to make a midge eater using only two plastic bottles, some yeast, sugar, water, a sweaty sock and some black paint.  I also live in Argyll, home of the fierce 'Highland Midge', so gardening, sitting outside or even just nipping out to the shed is a nightmare at the moment, so this is going to be my project for this week. N.B. It can take a couple of seasons to break the midge life cycle in a small area.  http://www.glasgowsciencecentre.org/online/make-a-midge-eater.html

24/06/2014 at 15:54

Kirsten there is a natural skincare company based in the Elgin area called Mary Jean and they make a body lotion called Highland Midge Lotion which is supposed to repel the little biters.

email image
21 to 26 of 26 messages