Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

CluelessGardener

I have just been out to check on my rosemary only to find it's covered and I mean covered in mildew dust (looks like it been snowing on the four weeks) so I've sprayed them with some old bug it with mildew remover killer.

What should I do should I quarantine them away from other plants? These were cuttings taken in August?? I transplanted into deep root trainers around 6 weeks ago

James

Dovefromabove

Sounds more  botrytis - where are you keeping them?  They need to be drier and have plenty of ventilation.

I wouldn't treat food plants with fungicides.

CluelessGardener

Dove sorry I've been to Cinderford for the day Family and all that.

The Rosemary is kept in the Conservatory. Also they are kept at the front of the bench I could take a photo of the ares tomorrow if needed. I have a small window in the Conservatory that I open maybe I should put the plants near the window were I could receive more Ventilation

James

Dovefromabove

I'd keep them outside in an airy coldframe - they really don't need to be indoors.  

Add some grit to the potting medium. Rosemary is a sun lover with very good drainage essential.

If you have got botrytis its better to start again, especially if they are softwood cuttings.

Advertisement

Agree with dave.  Start again with new stock.  You won't lose much time and a healthy cutting will outdo a sickly one.  I have been using perlite quite a lot over past couple of years and for seed and cuttings it's now my preferred medium.  

Dovefromabove

I agree too - what I meant was that in general rosemary cuttings need to be outside. 

CluelessGardener

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this one I do have some other cuttings on the go so I shall bin the old ones and see if moving the newer one to a coldframe helps any 

again thank you 

Dovefromabove

Make sure they're well-drained and get plenty of ventlation - they'll be ok in the cold - it's the wet that kills them.